Andy Hall

Default TV and radio aerials on one mast?

On Wed, 5 May 2004 07:45:58 +0100, "Rafal"
wrote:

Hi,
I know that aerial installs were covered here on "few" occasions but
I did not find answers via searching news groups and net.
Planning to install two new aerials for TV /incl freeview/ and fm radio.
/Streatham, London, about 1-2 miles from Crystal Palace transmitter/.
I would like to install both aerials on one mast. I vaguely remember that
in that case there should be a certain distance between them / something to
do
with the wavelength they operate?/ Or is it just not good practice to put
them together?

Generally the more the better but try to keep them at least half the
wavelength of the VHF antenna apart. If you can manage at least 2m,
that would be a good idea.

What about the distance from other aerials?

As above. The issue that you are more likely to run into is having
too much signal and picking up reflected signals in an area of high
signal strength

How to calculate the signal strength? /my Naim Audio tuner need min 600mV
for 'full quieting'/

I presume that that is 600 microvolts, not millivolts.

At any rate, for where you are located, even a piece of wet string
should give more than enough signal/

Your opinions on omni circular fm aerial
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MX395.html
versus normal one.

Normally I would say that these are junk, but again because of high
signal strength and because you probably have transmitters in
different directions but locally to where you are then not a bad idea.

Thank you in advance
Rafal

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl