RichardS

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...

"Alan Gauton" wrote in message

How do you know they're able-bodied? Some of my family have a blue
badge, but don't look like they need it. Sometimes the problems are
internal, not obvious, such as having lungs missing, ....

Missing lungs don't necessarily disable one.

Our champion hill climber in the cycling club only had one lung.

My paternal grandmother is a healthy 80-something year old. My dad told me
some of her story a while ago.

She apparently contracted TB in the 40s or 50s and as part of the whole
ordeal contracted pneumonia (I think) and suffered a collapsed lung. TB
sorted out, out of isolation or whatever TB unit it was at the time, waiting
(rather impatiently) in bed for the completely defunct lung to be removed.
My grandfather - long deceased now, never met him - then came down with some
dreadful disease contracted from working with pigs, now completely unable to
look after the 4 or 5 children that they had by that time.

So she just got up, packed her things and discharged herself. Went on and
had another 5 kids and to this day she still has only use of one lung.

Yorkshire folk - tough as old boots!

--
Richard Sampson

mail me at