Paul Mc Cann

Default Another variation on hourly rates

On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 11:58:34 +0100,
wrote:

As I'm no longer able to do most DIY jobs the way I used to, for the first
time I need to employ a decorator also able to do a few odd jobs within the
range of the average DIYer rather than an expert.

My daughter's boyfriend does this sort of work professionally and is happy
to do what I need. He thinks there will be about 7 days work. And I can't
think of anyone I'd rather trust to do it. He's not formally trained, but
is a good workman, much in demand. He's worked on several series of TV DIY
programmes and they keep wanting him back, so that seems a indicator of
reasonable reliability!

My problem is that I think he's likely to try to *undercharge* me! While I
don't, of course, want to be ripped off, I do want to ensure I pay him a
fair wage for his time. After all, while he's working for me he can't earn
his keep elsewhere. We've agreed that much in principle, but sums have yet
to be mentioned and I want to be prepared for when they are.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what a fair daily wage might be, assuming
that materials will be bought separately? Being self-employed he will have
some overheads but these do not include special premises or employing
others. What would tradespeople here consider reasonable to charge a
friend in similar circumstances? I'm in the London area.

Thanks

Barbara

Bite the bullet and ask him. Emphasise that you want to pay him a fair
rate. If he quotes more than what others are suggesting is reasonable
then pay him and don't use him again or weasel out of it.

If he quotes considerably less then consider that he may WANT to do
you a favour. (As a tradesman he knows the going rate.) Dont deny him
the opportunity of ingratiating himself ;-) Who wouldn't want to keep
in with a potential mother-in law.

In the past I have often done (diy) jobs for people for nothing
knowing that it will most likely put them off asking me again ;-)

Equally I often do jobs for 'family' for which I wouldn't dream of
charging, but I do have a long memory and it can be useful having
favours stored up.

Paul Mc Cann