pyotr filipivich

Let the record show that Ron DeBlock wrote back on Fri,
20 May 2005 02:12:14 GMT in rec.crafts.metalworking :
On Wed, 18 May 2005 17:48:37 -0700, madhat wrote:

Anyone have any ideas for a low-impact exercise program? The nearest thing
we have to a gym in the area is 80 mi from here.

I started a on a sort of modified diet Monday last week. I started at 400
and this morning was 388. I think I could do better if I could get some
exercise into the program.

My problem is bad back, bad right leg, and chronic pain from a work injury.
I was about 270 , 8 1/2 years ago before I became pretty much disabled and
could not get my usual exercise. I used to walk/jog 6mi a day and work the
weight machine a couple of times a week. Now I'm pretty much out of that.
It's the sh_ts living in mountains and Oregon and not being able to go
hunting and fishing anymore.

Every day I go try and work around the place or out in my shop, I'm laid up
for a day or two. I've been working on my 1/3 mi of fence for a month. I
might mention I am 6'6 so pretty much no matter what I'm doing its a bend or
stoop situation.

Oh crap, I'm starting to sound like a whiner.

Any way if anyone knows any good lo-impact, not to physical exercise for a
crippled up old fat guy, feel free to contribute.

Thanks,
madhat

Swimming, but that requires access to a suitable body of water. My
Grandma (88 years old, and sharp as a tack) swims 30 minutes daily. She
can't walk for exercise anymore because of trouble with her feet and
ankles. Grandma's condo building has an indoor pool.

My late Grandfather took up running at age 60, after he retired. He ran
the New York Marathon at age 72. He kept running until
Alzheimer's took the use of his legs at age 83. He didn't know who or
where he was, but he insisted on running every day, and was quite upset
when he couldn't do it any more. The physical therapists at the nursing
home had a hard time keeping up with him.

The reports were that President Reagan's alzheimer's got to the point
he hardly recognized anyone, but he did remember he was a swimmer. So he
did, daily.
Of course, when you are the former president, you can get all manner of
swim facilities built for you.

tschus
pyotr

--
pyotr filipivich
We didn't have these sorts of problems when I was a boy,