IMM

Default Speedfit catastophic failure.

"Stephen Fasham" wrote in message
om...
What is it with the copper thing?

Plastic pipe has a higher impact resistance
than copper,

You mean it is resilient.

is not prone to corrosion in harsh environments,

A domestic house is not a harsh environment.

is more insulating than copper
resulting in reduced heat loss on pipe
runs where it is wasted heat,

You are supposed to lag "all" pipes anyhow, so not relevant.

appears (at least for most of us) to be capable
of carrying fluids without leakage,

You have little experience of plastic then.

is more flexible - enabling joists to be drilled
not notched thereby improving
the structural stability of my house and
reducing the chances of "ramming"
a nail through it in the first place,

Poor workman ship cannot be accounted for.

oh and its quicker to assemble and
easier for the layman (with appropriate tools
I accept!) to get right, thereby offsetting the
increased purchase cost with reduced labour
charges, on top of which its easier to make
changes to layout.

In short, it is amied at naive DIYers.

In fact having entirely replumbed my last house
central heating and all in plastic (except
1st metre from boiler)

Wait and see.

the only place where I found copper more
attractive was when it came to retro-fitting
a garden tap, where it was only
preferable because B&Q sold a garden tap
kit including a self cutting tap, for
less than the price of a bib tap with a
non-return valve. Hence I undid 2
of my plastic connectors (one speedfit,
1 Hep - easy job) and inserted a
short length of copper pipe to enable the
self cutter to work.

A professional does not install such rubbish. He does it properly.

Oh and by the way I forgot to mention that
plastic pipe reduces the risk of electric shock
particularly in bathroom and kitchen environments.

You should have the earthing done properly.

Sorry to rant, but sometimes you just have to!

Best you don't and you made a fool of yourself.

Incidentally I agree with most of the
other posts on this subject

Which say what?

and suspect that knawing through the pipe
with my teeth I could still
effect a water-tight joint.

Could you prevent the O ring from taking a walk as well?