Rex B

Here in Texas it's common practice when registering a trailer to just
tell them it's "Shop Built" i.e. home made and save some hassle, VIN
recording, and (allegedly) taxes. According to the local sherrif's
deputy, that is illegal if it's a factory-built trailer. He said when
they come upon a tow rig on the highway, they shadow it long enough to
run the tag. If it comes back "Shop-Built" and it's obviously a Wells
Cargo or similar, it gets a stop, primarily to see if it's stolen.
They actually give them a day-long class and an ID book to identify
factory trailers from the various builders. There are also 5 different
places that VINs are on a trailer, some known only to law enforcement.
Trailer theft is a pretty big business.

Speaking of which, what kind of tongue-lock do you put on a trailer with
a bulldog coupler?

- -
Rex Burkheimer
WM Automotive
Fort Worth TX

wrote:
When I had my trailer inspected, the trooper said that if I modified
it so that it changed the weight it would have to be reinspected. So
if you had a boat trailer and changed it to a utility trailer, it would
be the same as a new built homemade trailer. Ditto horse trailer to
utility trailer.

When I registered my trailer, I think the license fee was something
like $15. But a year ago the renewal came and they wanted something
like $40. Not huge but enough to make me wait until I really need to
have it licensed.

Dan