Ed Huntress

wrote in message
ups.com...
I have my rebuild car engine in my toolroom and wonder about how much
oil pressure at what viscosity to fill the bearings space. What is
"film float" and how to calculate it.

It's not clear what you're trying to accomplish. If you're trying to "float"
the mechanical parts on an oil film (hydrostatic lubrication), that isn't
the result of pressure from the oil pump, and no car-engine oil pump is
going to accomplish it. The oil flim develops from moving parts sliding
relative to each other -- hydrodynamic lubrication.

Are you just trying to lube the engine in preparation for its first run
after a rebuild? If so, you just want to make sure there's plenty of oil in
the bearings and that the oil pump is fully primed. One way that's done is
to pull the distributor and to drive the oil pump with a big variable-speed
drill for a half-minute or so, then replace the distributor and fire up the
engine quickly.

But that depends on the engine, and how the oil pump is driven.

--
Ed Huntress