Prometheus

On Wed, 18 May 2005 11:24:25 -0700, "Leif Thorvaldson"
wrote:

Its manner of action can be only speculated on. Some ascribe mystical,
alchemical qualities to it, but a "vast consensus" of turners (errh, well,
at least myself and two others!) seem to believe that the soap solution
draws out water from the cell walls and replaces it with some substance in
the soap. I have never had a finish appear milky from use of the soap
solution. It makes the wood cut easier. And it takes any kind of finish
with the wood still damp after final turning and sanding. Don't mention that
I sent you the samizdat on The Soap Solution as you will receive the same
scorn and loathing that I have had to suffer from the reactionary turners.
You know the type: the boilers, the bakers, the microwavers, the soakers,
the spin driers, the drycleaners, the air driers for ten years, etc. They
will cause you to doubt the truth behind The Soap Solution, yea, verily, to
cause it to appear un-Constitutional. Heed not the fearmongers! I am
available for a limited time only free consultation by email. *G*

ROFL! So, if I use the method, do I get to learn the secret
handshake? If you've actually got a blurb on it handy, you can email
it to me at (remove the obvious NOSPAM, of
course) I figure it's worth a try, at any rate.

So, have you only tried this with dishwashing detergent, or have you
tried out simple glycerine as well? I haven't gone out and priced
them, but I would suspect that glycerine flakes can be had in a
reasonably large volume for far less than a commerical soap. That'd
also narrow down the list of possible chemicals that are working in
the wood to one.

Leif

P.S. I have turned complete salad sets for my two nieces (18 Pieces in all)
and not a one has warped or gone out of round. Maybe it is the type of oak
that is referred to above, but in my experience, if you follow the
directions you will not suffer from cracked, out-of-round turned items,
chilblains, cracked hands, low libido, etc!*G*