Gunner

On Wed, 18 May 2005 08:56:58 -0700, Grant Erwin

Your state trooper probably told you this, but keep your receipts and
cultivate an acquaintance with someone that can weigh the trailer and
give you a statement of its weight. Also check what it will cost for
licensing. I have a trailer that I built and got registered, but it is
not not licensed. It costs more for a license than for the license of
a pickup truck.

Actually, Dan, I'm thinking of buying an actual horse trailer which would
have a title and license plate already, one which I could just transfer
the title and buy tabs normally without *any* inspections. I don't believe
I'd incur any requirement to get it reinspected solely by modifying the
trailer's superstructure, either.

When Wayne Cook seconded the idea that the body adds a bunch of the strength
I started to have second thoughts. For sure you'd get a tongue, two axles
with wheels and electric brakes, and a title, tabs and plate, which is not
a bad place to start, but if I had to remanufacture the entire frame it
would be a bigger job than just cutting off the body and welding on a bed.

Are you saying that the tabs for your trailer are more expensive than the
tabs for a pickup truck?

Grant

In California, they are $25 for life. Who would have figured that for
The Land of the Fee, Home of the Slave?

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner