Ron Magen

Chuck,
I have several adhesives that I use for 'home' and 'shop'.

Typically, I use the 'Liquid Hide Glue' {a Franklin product}for minor
furniture repair. It is water soluble, because I know the chair might need
to be 'de-constructed' at some time in the future. Also it is the 'gentlest'
of my glues.

I have done away with the Elmers White & Woodworking because it is redundant
.. . . I have 'standardized' on the Titebond II {another Franklin product}.
It is used both on household projects and in the shop. Should some small
samples of III, gotten at a recent Industrial Woodworkers show, prove as
good, that will replace it.

For 'serious' work, I use EPOXY. Depending on the fillers I mix with the
resin, I have a VERY WIDE range of charistics I can create for the job at
hand. I can not speak with direct experience about 'polyurethane glues'
{like 'Gorilla Glue'}.However, my experience with polyester resin, and
examples from respected colleagues leads me to believe that the epoxy is
much the superior product.

Regards & Good Luck,
Ron Magen
Backyard Boatshop

"CNT" wrote in message
For years, I been using Elmer's WW'ing Glue. Then for about less than a
year, I stopped with WW'ing (school and other things). Now, I am back
(raised panels this time). As I was playing around with samples, I
realized all my glues (including the Gorilla) were all dried up. So, a
quick run to Rockler and bought a 4oz regular Titebond glue. I noticed
Titebond expand their selections. So, few questions for those who may
experienced the new stuff.

1) Titebond Dark Wood Glue, is it good for red oak? Just want to know if
it helps with the color or not?

2) Titebond Original Wood Glue, same thing as Elmer's WW'ing Glue.

3) Titebond II (and III) is for outdoor and waterproofing.

4) As I read the Titebond website, they even recommend wetting the
surface with water for the Original Glue. So, I should do the same for
Elmer's, just like Gorilla Glue emphasis it?

I have not used Gorilla Glue (only once, it was free). I wonder if I
should use Gorilla Glue for red oak, that it would act as a filler too in
gaps we overlook? Does the Gorilla Glue swell the work (move the wood?)
or it only bubbles out of joints?

I am feeling about switching to Titebond Original, but it's not an issue.

Chuck