Lee Michaels

"Duane Bozarth" wrote in message
Patriarch wrote:

Dave Hinz wrote in
:

On Tue, 17 May 2005 14:21:03 -0500, Patriarch
wrote:
Larry Jaques wrote in
:

snip
She should read the old Mother Earth News articles, and plant in
recycled tires painted white... :-)

I find it hard to believe that MEN would publish something like
that, given all the chemicals which leach out of the old tires.

I didn't say it was smart, just that it was published in a known rag
back then. Lotsa stupid stuff said & done in the Seventies.

Thing about the tires - if they're leaching, why are they used for
retaining walls in Golden Gate Park, Larry?

So you're telling us they are completely safe, and the tire disposal fee
and hazardous waste disposal fee and the rest of the handling taxes
imposed
here in California are bogus? Who would have thought?

I guess you just can't trust politicians these days... ;-)

I wouldn't say anything is "completely" safe under all circumstances,
but the chemical hazard from tire-"leaching" is pretty far down for
ordinary water chemistry.

The primary problem/cost w/ disposal of tires is the volume required in
landfills and the problem of large piles occasionally getting lit. The
disposal fees are an attempt to have some revenues to provide mechanisms
to counter this. How efeective they are seems to depend on
jursidiction--here they're using it to subside recycling and it seems to
work reasonably well.

Reminds me of a scam I read about years ago. Seem that there was a city who
required a fee to dispose of the itres. A new firm showed up with trucks and
began to take care of this business. All the former folks were glad to get
rid of the business because it was not profitable. This new firm did well at
this for a year or two. Then they vanished.

An investigation discovered that they had collected millions of dollars. And
deposited all the tires in a big, old warehouse they had rented. Leaving the
warehouse owner with a big sized disposal problem.