carl mciver

"Grant Erwin" wrote in message
| I sold my boom truck awhile ago when I realized it just didn't make
economic
| sense because the insurance costs were eating me alive. Since then, I've
been
| trying to think of a reasonable way to come up with something that can
move
| any of my machines (top weight about 2500#). I have a concept that I want
| run by the "design review" board here :-)
|
| My idea is to buy a junker 2-horse trailer, rip the body off it and build
| a bed for it. My reasoning is there are tons of these around, and I do see
| them occasionally for under $300. They have 2 axles, and many have
electric
| brakes. The frames are usually quite substantial, but the trailers are
| pretty short. I don't want a long car-hauler type trailer, don't have room
| for it, plus up here you pay by length when you go on a Washington State
ferry
| boat, so shorter is better.
|
| What do you guys think?
|
| GWE

Grant, have you looked at mobile/manufactured (new term nowadays!)
axles? Stout as hell, plentiful as sin, and dirt cheap. 'Lectric brakes,
too. Some time after the home is set up, the axles aren't needed, so folks
either pull them on the spot or let someone else round them up. Don't know
who to call, but someplace that does mobile homes and offices ought to be
able to tell you.