Ray

Thanks to all the serious posters to my original question !! I will try a
few of the suggestions making sure not to kill myself when I touch the wires
to the lugs in the breaker panel

Ray

"SteveB" wrote in message

"Ray" wrote in message
The previous owner of my home burried some Romex to power up a pool pump
and
he ran a branch to a receptacle for a non existent sheded off this to
provide a receptacle to a non existent shed.

I like to do some trenching in my yard to run conduit to a workshop that

built but want to avoid the existing romex.

Is there a way/device to help me find the burried romex. I tried a

metal
detector and after adjusting the sensitivity it still picks up a lot of
stray stuff in my yard and does not give me a clear picture of the
location
of the romex.

Thanks,

Take two pieces of straight baling wire about 16" each. Bend a 90 about
four inches from the end.

Put these down in two Tabasco bottles so they can freely spin. Tilt
slightly forward so they point in front of you. When you walk over the
line, they will both swing towards the center. Beware, though. They will
also pick up sprinkler lines, sewer lines, water lines, etc.

If you have a light touch, make a round fist, just touching your first
finger to the tip of your thumb. Your hand would look just like were
holding an invisible broom handle. Do the same thing with the wires.

It works. Used it countless times to locate lines.

Steve