News

"Colin Blackburn" wrote in message
Grunff wrote:
Doctor Evil wrote:

Also at 1K per windmill and 8K for a heat pump. Try spending 2K on two
windmills. Then 6kW instead of 3kW.

You can't get a windmill for £1k that outputs 3kW. You'd be looking at
around £30k, and it would be very tall indeed. You'd also need a very
large bank of batteries.

And, even if you could, a turbine is rated at its nominal maximum. A 1kW
turbine will produce only 300W on average. Once the batteries are
charged then any power generated is dumped (though you can use this dump
in a reasonably configured system). In our high wind area we effectively
get about 10% of the rated capacity out of our turbine. A lot of the
time it just turns itself off because it has nowhere to put the energy.

Doubling the number of turbines without considering how you are going to
use them is a false economy.

But could work out cheaper depending on how you use them. You also
redundancy, which in an isolated location is desirable. Best not to have
batteries. At the mo', expensive and don't last long - although battery
technology is coming on brilliantly.

Couple the windmill directly to the immersion of a thermal store, then all
the wind energy is transformed to heat energy, which is stored in the
thermal store. When you use an intermediate battery you loose quite a bit
of energy. Then this is used for low temperature UFH and DHW.