legg

On Sat, 14 May 2005 21:31:18 -0700, John Larkin
wrote:

On Sun, 15 May 2005 03:49:53 GMT, legg wrote:

On Sat, 14 May 2005 10:06:32 -0700, John Larkin
wrote:

On Sat, 14 May 2005 13:38:12 +0100, Will wrote:

I have some Sony in-ear headphones. The lead to one earpiece has
been cut through completely and I want to rejoin the two wires
(which I will call 'conductors' to avoid confusion).

The two 'conductors' inside the lead are rather thin. And what is
more, each of the two 'conductors' is made up of something like a
dozen smaller copper wires which are woven around some very fine
threads (perhaps the threads are very fine polyester yarn). The
threads run along the lead as the core of the 'conductor'.

The wires of one of these two 'conductors' looks like bare copper
and is unoxidised so I can probably solder to it. But the OTHER
CONDUCTOR is the PROBLEM because its fine wires are enamelled.

How can I remove this enamel coating in order to be able to solder
to the fine copper wires of the 'conductor'?

Below is what I have tried.

Can you advise?

Will

----------------------------

Maybe my general technique is not delicate enough or maybe I am
being too clumsy but this is what I have tried with no success:

(1) Using fine glasspaper but it seems to tear the fine wires
rather than strip their enamel away. Even if the wires don't
break, there is still a portion of uncleaned enamel of the inner
sides of the fine wires.

(2) Using a match to burn off the enamel but this leaves a black
deposit which I have to scrape away with glasspaper and I am back
to the beginning.

(3) Using a gas flame always seems too fierce as it burns through
the wires.

----------------- END -----------------------------

This is "tinsel wire." It really doesn't solder well, and if you do
manage to solder it, it will soon break at the joint. It's usually
crimped. I don't know how to strip the enamel.

Tinsel wire is characterized by it's flat spiral winding around the
core. It is not enameled and each conductor will be insulated
conventionally.

It is solderable, but requires mechanical security to prevent
vibration at the SJ. A crimped contact requires the same stress
relief.

The OPs wire is not tinsel wire.

Oh, don't be crabby. It's a lot of fine conductors woven around a
fibrous insulating core, and it's not very solderable. So it might as
well be tinsel.

So, what's the absolutely correct name for this construction?

In North America, cables are described by their application class, UL
Style number and construction.

As the wire that interests the OP is likely of Asian design and
origin, it may be described somewhat differently.

Stranding count, gauge, serving style, core and jacket material would
likely be required to fully describe flexible cable for consumer audio
applications.

It's an interesting thought, though; just what off-beat permutations
and combinations of events would be required for a Japanese
manufacturer to label something with a North-American colloquialism
associated with decorating material or dressmaking. Metalic threads
were not unknown in centuries past, so they'd likely have their own
terms for round or flattened varieties.

Last 'tinsel' wire I saw was in mono earplug leads, a la 1965. Biggest
problem was normal conductor surface contamination from outgassing
insulation, with age, and the further contaminating effects of burning
core material at soldering temperatures.

RL