Wayne Cook

On Tue, 17 May 2005 10:18:35 -0700, Grant Erwin
wrote:

I sold my boom truck awhile ago when I realized it just didn't make economic
sense because the insurance costs were eating me alive. Since then, I've been
trying to think of a reasonable way to come up with something that can move
any of my machines (top weight about 2500#). I have a concept that I want to
run by the "design review" board here :-)

My idea is to buy a junker 2-horse trailer, rip the body off it and build
a bed for it. My reasoning is there are tons of these around, and I do see
them occasionally for under $300. They have 2 axles, and many have electric
brakes. The frames are usually quite substantial, but the trailers are
pretty short. I don't want a long car-hauler type trailer, don't have room
for it, plus up here you pay by length when you go on a Washington State ferry
boat, so shorter is better.

What do you guys think?

You will have to beef up the frame for this to work.

If you go and look at one you will soon see that if you rip the body
off all that will be left is some 2 1/2" or 3" leg angle iron for the
frame. The main part of the load is taken up by the body on these type
trailers.

Wayne Cook
Shamrock, TX
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/waynecook