Odinn

Patriarch wrote:
Dave Hinz wrote in
:

On Tue, 17 May 2005 14:21:03 -0500, Patriarch
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote in
:

snip

She should read the old Mother Earth News articles, and plant in
recycled tires painted white... :-)

I find it hard to believe that MEN would publish something like
that, given all the chemicals which leach out of the old tires.

I didn't say it was smart, just that it was published in a known rag
back then. Lotsa stupid stuff said & done in the Seventies.

Thing about the tires - if they're leaching, why are they used for
retaining walls in Golden Gate Park, Larry?

So you're telling us they are completely safe, and the tire disposal fee
and hazardous waste disposal fee and the rest of the handling taxes imposed
here in California are bogus? Who would have thought?

I guess you just can't trust politicians these days... ;-)

There are many compelling reasons to regulate the management and
disposal of waste tires, including concerns for public health, because
of the breeding of disease carrying mosquitos, the potential for fire
hazards, as well as the expense of cleaning up after tire fires. For
these and other reasons, many states concluded that throwing waste tires
into stockpiles presented environmental and public health concerns, and
that burying them in a landfill consumed valuable landfill space and
wasted a resource.

It's not because of leaching at all.

--
Odinn
RCOS #7

"The more I study religions the more I am convinced that man never
worshipped anything but himself." -- Sir Richard Francis Burton

Reeky's unofficial homepage ... http://www.reeky.org
'03 FLHTI ........... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/ElectraGlide
'97 VN1500D ......... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/VulcanClassic
Atlanta Biker Net ... http://www.atlantabiker.net