Odinn

charlie b wrote:
Odinn wrote:

snip

Unfortunately, my son has no interest in woodworking, no interest in
mechanics, no interest in..... Hmmm, what is he interested in? Females,
and that's about it. None of my 4 daughters have any interest in my
tools, but my youngest two want my Harley. I guess all my stuff will
end up in a yard sale.

Don't give up on him yet.

I already did, he joined the Marines 4 years ago

My oldest, who showed absolutely no
interested in woodworking of any sort is now building his mother
a house and working on his contractor's license. My youngest,
out of the clear blue, asked if I'd show him how to make a pair
of cabinets for his LPs collection. We collaborated on the design,
he picked out the materials, I did the set ups for the parts
making but he did the actual work. One of them is bound to
want to move my 1100 pound Robland X31 combination machine
(and no, it's nothing like s ShopSmith), 165 pound mortising
machine and maybe the 300 pounds of hand tools in my two
wall hanging tool cabinets.

Maybe one of the neighborhood kids who spent time in
the shop during the summers making magic wands,
D-8 Catapiller tractors, treasure/jewerly boxes,
paddle wheel boats or wooden puppets will, as adults,
want some of the tools they remember using as a kid.
Turn on a power tool in a neighborhood during the
summer and you'll have kids in the shop in no time.

I don't have a neighborhood, my closest neighbor is 150 ft away thru the
woods, and I like it like that

What really worries me is what will become of the special
wood stash I may not get to in this lifetime - wide poplar
boards with PURPLE heartwood, the beautifully figured quilted
maple plank I call Mae West because she's brash and
flamboyant, the Bear Glawed spruce, the 14" wide, 12 foot
long book matched "Mexican Mahogany" boards, the 8/4
spalted maple plank . . .

I'm trying to get my own collection going. I'm off to Chesapeake VA to
my Father-in-law's house for Memorial Day weekend to cut up some maples
and other trees and have milled. I know there are at least 4 trees, and
the smallest one is about 20" in diameter. Milling it all up and
hauling back as much as my pickemup will hold, stacking the rest of it
to pick up at some later time.

Bottom line for me is not what happens to the tools, or,
for that matter, anything I made - but rather how long
the memories last of the making and using. The "stuff"
are merely postcards from the journey. It's the memories
of the journey that are what's valuable.

My memory is so bad, I'm lucky to remember what I had for breakfast,
much less what project I built

Every day we make memories - for ourselves and for
others. Good ones aren't that hard to create.

Yeah, I hope someone remembers the things I do, good, bad, or indifferent

--
Odinn
RCOS #7

"The more I study religions the more I am convinced that man never
worshipped anything but himself." -- Sir Richard Francis Burton

Reeky's unofficial homepage ... http://www.reeky.org
'03 FLHTI ........... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/ElectraGlide
'97 VN1500D ......... http://www.sloanclan.org/gallery/VulcanClassic
Atlanta Biker Net ... http://www.atlantabiker.net