Patriarch

Vince Heuring wrote in
om:

Not really. :-) It's a Herb Circle that SWMBO wants me to build.
It's an outdoor herb garden made with 12 slightly tapered 3' redwood
2x12 planks buried in a 12' circle flush with the ground. She found
the design in a gardening magazine.

The magazine article says, "To prevent cupping and warping score the
bottom of each plank with several 1/8" cuts using a circular saw."

My question is, does this really work?

TIA, Vince

She should read the old Mother Earth News articles, and plant in
recycled tires painted white... :-)

The last time I priced all heart redwood 2x12's, I about choked. And
it's a 90 minute drive from here to the Redwood Empire, at least
according to the highway signs, so freight isn't the problem. And
redwood sapwood doesn't have the rot resistance for which one seeks
redwood in the first place.

The redwood is going to last about ten years or so, at least in my
raised bed gardens. It's going to cup anyway, pretty much whatever you
do. I mean, one side is dry, and the other is buried in dirt that you
get wet three times a week, minimum. My advice is to price the redwood,
then ask your wife if she wants the garden that badly. Proceed
according to your best judgement.

Those precast concrete cobblestones make a nice herb garden.

Patriarch