David

I'm not following your logic. The length of a warranty is not
proportional to the longevity of an item. It's more of a business
decision than an indicator of how long some item will last. The
exception to that would be items such as batteries, tires, mattresses,
etc that have a projected life span and come with a pro-rated warranty
to provide relief to the consumer should the item fail before the
warranty period has elapsed. Those types of items are more like
consumables. Batteries ALWAYS fail at some point. Tires wear out.
Mattresses sag. I've got a radio that still works fine. Guess where I
bought it. In the BX at Bien Hoa, Vietnam in 1969. The warranty was 90
days.

Dave

charlie b wrote:

While going through the Festool products catalogue (tool
porn of the quality Lee Valley puts out for Pseudo
Neanders), I noticed their products are warranted
for 3 years. That got me thinking about how things
have changed over the years. I still have and still
use the Craftsman hand drill and the Skil worm drive
circular saw I bought in 1971 and haven't managed
to lose - yet.

I looked around the shop at my tailed hand tools and
have to wonder if any of the newer ones will still
be in usable in 10 years, let alone 30. While the
versatility of the new tailed hand tools have gotten
better over the years, and the prices, adjusted for
inflation, have gone down, I wonder if they, like
so many other things, they've become disposable/
consumables. If so, what is the grand kid, or great
grand kid going to inherit and maybe actually
find useful and valuable?

charlie b

ps - to paraphrase Jimmy Carter, I have lust
in my heart for Festool's saber saw
AND plunge router and one of their cute
little vacuum cleaner things