Chuck

Thanks to all who responded. I got the Rockler screw extractor
and it made a hole around the screw, although it didn't remove it. I
used a pick and a needle-nose plier to extract the screw. I have to
say the extractor drilled a very good hole and since I could only
leave a bare 1/8" between the hole and the edge of the board, it had
to be a good hole with no drill wobble.
Now to plug, redrill, refinish, use a non-brass screw to set
the threads, and lubricate a real brass screw as the very last step.

-- Chuck

=====
Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others.
=====
{remove curly brackets for email}