BigWallop

"David" wrote in message
oups.com...
Dave please see my previous message - 'cutting of the cable' which is
partly why i like the gsm option. Has anybody out there had experience
of these systems, that is my question ??

To be NACOSS acceptable today, all alarm systems have to have two paths of
communication. These are separated in to hardwired telephony and GSM / Pager
technology. The case used to be the use of RedCare telephone lines, which are
constantly monitored from the local exchange, and any disruption on the line was
reported as fault and alarm conditions sent to the receiving centre for
appropriate actions.

With the increased use of more modern telecommunications, the norm' now is to
have the two paths to allow the condition of the alarm system to be ascertained,
even with a fault or tampering occurring to one of the comm.'s techniques. With
the actual condition of the alarm being found, it reduces the occurrence of
police being called if the alarm system has not been compromised, and the only
fault was with the telecoms circuit.

There are retro-fit GSM units which can be installed in to the alarm system, and
this gives the ability to use the mobile telephony system directly from the
control panel of the alarm. They are still quite expensive to buy and maintain
contracts for, but if this is of use to you, then you can search for "GSM Remote
Alarm" on the web for a few useful hits on the subject.