Edwin Pawlowski

"Duane Bozarth" wrote in message

But, I was particularly referring to the examples of the poor
individuals not getting annual raises, etc., from a local employer...

Keeping up with the cost of living is tough enough. I know someone that
owns a "dollar store". They either have to become a dollar-fifty store or
go out of business. Just the increased cost of freight alone is taking the
profits and they cannot give anyone a raise. Just not enough stuff that can
be bought at the right price to maintain the dollar concept.

It's a tough world out there. I can cite plenty of examples in our industry
where cost of materials bought has gone up and the selling price has gone
down. We've walked away from about a $1 million in sales and profits did not
change at all. It would have hurt to keep it. We did get a modest wage
increase this year though. It is difficult to justify giving anyone more
than a cost of living increase unless they do something to deserve it, such
as take on more responsibility, or additional duties. You already (or
should, anyway), get paid for doing a good job and showing up every day.
That is just a basic part of being employed.

Sometimes you have to change with technology. Considering the proliferation
of digital cameras, it would not seem prudent to invest your life savings in
a one hour photo shop. There will always be film, just not as much of it.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/