legg

On Sat, 14 May 2005 13:38:12 +0100, Will wrote:

The wires of one of these two 'conductors' looks like bare copper
and is unoxidised so I can probably solder to it. But the OTHER
CONDUCTOR is the PROBLEM because its fine wires are enamelled.

How can I remove this enamel coating in order to be able to solder
to the fine copper wires of the 'conductor'?

Enamel is likely present on both conductors - the 'bare' group's
enamel is just not dyed with distinctive color pigments.

Tin the leads using a soldering iron tip loaded with fluxed solder,
starting from the cut end, where heat transfer to the copper is
facilitated by direct contact. If there are a lot of wires, a solder
pot speeds things up - dip in flux, then dip in the solder pot.

Do not overheat. Better to repeat the process, with fresh solder and a
clean tip, than to persist with a hot tip that has burned out of flux.

The enamel used in commercial equipment is designed for solderability.
Larger bundles of litz, or wires with heavy enamel, may require that
this operation be repeated to contact all internal wires in the
bundle. In this case, abrading the tip to increase bare copper surface
area reduces time in the soldering operation.

Use of an open flame will contaminate, weaken and oxidize the
conductors, making them harder to eventually solder.

RL