Charlie Self

Upscale wrote:
"Charlie Self" wrote in message

I knew a guy who retired from contracting and worked PT at a local

HD,
mostly setting up and teaching classes. This was a few years ago,

but
as I recall, he got about $18-$19 an hour, which isn't bad money in
this area (or a lot of others). He didn't have to work either, but
found the extra money helpful.

That's not half bad. I'm of the mind that they mostly take advantage

of
employees like most conglomerates.

I'm not sure I'd called the big box stores conglomerates, but, in fact,
I've seen Mom & Pop stores taking advantage of employees just as much
as larger companies. The kicker is, they do it two or three at a time.
As an example, years ago, my wife worked for a small store (four or
five employees, total); no benefits, which was expected; no raise for
either four or five years (which is why she quit). Her work was way
above satisfactory, but I was making good money, so her boss simply
didn't think she needed the money.

If you think that kind of idiotic thinking is unusual, take a look
around you at some smaller stores. My first mother-in-law ran into the
same problem many years ago. She was by far the best-qualified science
teacher at a local high school, but the men working in the department
got raises because her husband made excellent money. I never did figure
out what Ben's job had to do with Faith's job performance and pay,
except in the minds of '60s educational admin types around Orange
County, NY.