Ed Huntress

"JK" wrote in message
On Fri, 13 May 2005 09:41:55 -0400, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

"JohnM" wrote in message

I suspect the gun-grabbers feel sympathy for criminals, perhaps even
admiration.. I suspect they have a secret desire to be a victim and
find the idea of defending themselves and those whom they (supposedly)
love to be revolting.. and instead of addressing the true problem, the
problem inside themselves, they direct it outward and hate those who
would defend themselves and their families, and the tools they would

use
to do it.

John

John, I've had some real drag-'em-out, face-to-face verbal battles with
people on the anti-gun side, when I was involved in pro-gun rallies and
lobbying for my state affiliate of the NRA.

From their point of view, things like what you say above make YOU the
problem. And that's the insight that you seem to be lacking when you fly

off
in your imagination, trying to figure out what's on their minds. Think

about
this objectively if you can: You're saying they have a "desire to be
victims." You say "they find the idea of defending themselves to be
revolting." These are absurd and childish things to say. You've cooked

them
up in your imagination. And you've got guns.

So here's you, from their perspective: You're a little bit nutty and a

whole
lot childish, you diminish them in value as human beings, and you have

the
means to kill them in your hands.

That's why you're part of the problem, as they see it. That's why they

don't
trust you. And, you know what? If you actually believe what you've

written
above, I don't trust you, either. That's one reason that I'M well-armed.
There are too many people around who are armed to the teeth but who have

no
respect for people who have different social or political views. They

live
in their imaginations but they have guns in the here-and-now. No wonder

many
anti-gunners don't trust them.

Ed,

That is powerful insight. But does it ring true?

I think so. When I was involved in gun lobbying here in NJ, and involved in
organizing a rally in Trenton, I saw some nut-jobs who really gave me the
creeps. One "leader" on the pro-gun side, the guy who was the state head of
that pro-gun organization of Jews (I forget their name -- Jews for the
Second Amendment, maybe?) had, I swear, foam running out of both corners of
his mouth and he was flailing his arms like an epileptic. An old German
immigrant who wore an Australian digger hat was passing out "Running N*gger"
targets and talking about how we had to get used to shooting people with
dark skin, because they were "the real targets."

I've been shooting and hunting for 47 years, and of course I know that those
people are few and far between. But they're there, and they're armed.
Whenever some guy gets really irrational about some "others" who he thinks
are the big problem, and the guy is armed, my flags go up. How crazy is this
guy, anyway?, I wonder.

Certainly John is reaching to make a point.

"Reaching"? He's armchair-psychoanalyzing people who make him angry, and his
"analysis" is that they're psychopaths who love being victims. 'Think maybe
he'd like to help them along in that regard? Are you sure?

If you are really well armed to protect yourself against the likes of
John, do you not make his point??

His attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy. When you put a wall between
yourself and the "others," and when you're armed, you become the source of
their fear.

As for protecting myself, I'm prepared for basic eventualities. Guns can be
the source of a lot of recreation, the means of self-defense, and a few
other positive things. They also can be the tool of choice for people with
certain kinds of attitudinal problems.

--
Ed Huntress