James \Cubby\ Culbertson

Another future option is to use a machine screw. Drill, tap, and install.
It will actually
hold better than wood screws and much less chance of breakage.
Cheers,
cc

"Chuck" wrote in message
I'm installing some small brass catches with 4x1/2 brass
screws. I had a few, installed them, and ran out of screws. Went out
and got some more and the first two broke off in the holes
One is below the surface, one sticks out just enough to catch
your finger on its sharp edge. To add to the problem, the wood is
already finished (oil and shellac), so whatever I do I would like to
do with as little damage as possible.
I tried to drill out the one that sticks out but the bit just
slipped off the screw. Any other suggestions?

TIA - Chuck

=====
Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others.
=====
{remove curly brackets for email}