Andy Dingley

On Thu, 12 May 2005 20:01:11 +0100, Paul Mc Cann
wrote:

The powder is only a type of paint in a powder form. Its a mixture of
resins and colouring compounds. (i.e.) Paint. It flows out when heated.

Paint is generally taken to mean a liquid, with either a resin which
cures on exposure to air, or a solvent which evaporates. If you want to
term a non-flowing, non-curing, non-dissolved powder as "paint" then you
can of course have words mean anything you like. But that's like Alice
talking to Humpty Dumpty.

Its not rocket science any half trained operator can control the
application.

But you need a conscientious operator. Skimping on spray time around the
corners, or fusing it for a bit too short a time to stop glossies, all
improve throughput but they reduce quality.

Personally we use several different commercial sprayers to spray and
stove enamel steel frames,

I'm loath to say that "stove enamel" can't apply to powder coating,
because it's certainly stoved, but the name is usually applied to a wet
paint process that's stoved, not powder.

No. Your confused again. Dipping is mereley dunking in paint.

Of course it is. But we're talking about powder coating, not paint. You
can obviously dip in paint (your paintbrushes), or in liquid rubbers
(plier handles) or in powder. Shouting "You're wrong, I was talking
about Nutella dip, yah boo" is just playground sophistry.

And for that matter, you can powder dip either hot or cold
(electrostatically). Hot dip is the one for the thick coatings,
electrostatic dip is the one that can have problems with sharp edges, if
you're too careless withdrawing from the bath (too roughly, too early).

Electrostatically applied coatings excel on edges due to
the nature of the application

Yes, but the flow afterwards tends to reduce this. Over stove a powder
coat and the edges thin out as surface tension pulls the coating
inwards.