Arch

Derek, as Stuart brightened with the onset of daylight, so did my view
of our tempest in a weed pot. Your explanation is heartily accepted and
I offer mine in return. Yesterday, I lost my little turning pal of 12
years, my beloved mini-schnauzer and admittedly I was grieving and not
myself.

My most admired professor & chief used the Socratic method to teach and
I have always tried to emulate him. This way may not fit a ng format too
well, but I'll forego the cup of hemlock.

Not to start a premptive bottom finishing jihad, but I figure that most
people inspect the bottoms of objects to see who made them and when,
instead of for visual or tactile gratification. That's more for tops and
sides. Those who care check for makers' and guild marks and confirm the
materials used, purity etc. We all hope to find a sterling silver piece
in the two-bit bin, but most buyers of our turnings aren't looking for a
pink ivory bowl turned by a master, altho some of them left tool and
holding marks.

An ugly bottom turns off turners and public alike, but this isn't what
we of lesser pride promote. It's now time for the obligatory, "Let's all
get back to turning".

All best, Arch

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter