Arch

Bill, Many here have offered a considered idea they thought might be
useful and invited comments, but were disappointed when constructive
comments were completely diverted by attempts at wit.
Who among us has not been a diverter? I'm the one this time.

I think that your game would be great for breaking the ice and making
new friends wherever groups of turners congregate. A fun and not
confrontational way to subject web-based info (or misinfo) to comparison
with tested turning techniques.

In addition to smaller lathes and baskets. What about the team being
given a small green log to make shavings on a pole or crank wheel type
lathe powered by kids? Easily broken down and moved, cheap, safe,
unusual, non-electric, rain safe, etc.

May not be great ideas, but my half-ass suggestions beat my half-wit
comments.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Bill Rubenstein

mac davis wrote:
On Thu, 5 May 2005 09:07:37 -0400, (Arch) wrote:

Bill, be careful what games you wish for. Any group that can argue for
days about chuck jaws probably shouldn't be involved in competitions
involving machinery and sharp tools.

In addition to the mayhem, have you considered steroid use, plugged
gouge handles, corporate sponsors, ad patches on clothes, salary caps,
pro vs am, interminable regional playoffs, rowdy spectators, player's
unions, government oversight,TV contracts; just for starters.

In the grand tradition of rcw, I try to be cheerful, supportive and
optimistic.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

tv rights could be right up there with dart tournaments.. yawn

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Actually, the competitive nature of the conversations in this thread
reminded me of the half-baked idea from a few months ago. I think that
it would be a much healthier way to vent as opposed to name-calling and
such.

I think that it would be much like high school or college level
wrestling -- you really need to know how to do it to find it an
interesting spectator sport, otherwise it could be pretty ho-hum. But
if poker can turn into a multi-million dollar spectator sport over the
time of one year or so, who is to say...?

Bill
Bill Rubenstein

Arch wrote:
[...]

Arch:

I think that we have a book idea here. Lathe projects where the object
is something other than making a bowl, hollow form, spindle, etc.

Heck -- sometimes we start out making a bowl and end up with a very
large napkin ring instead. Maybe that sort of thing should be included
as well?

Bill

Bill
Leo Lichtman

"Bruce Barnett" wrote: Perhaps we should form a committee on rules for
forming committies who set rules for committes that specify rules for the
contests. (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
First, we need to decide on the shape of the table that the committee will
sit around. But, we can't do that until your Committee on Rules for Forming
Committees is formed.

I used to belong to the Society for the Abolition of Abolition Societies,
but that membership didn't last long.

I also used to belong to a group whose focus narrowed, until its sole
activity was to run itself. There was a sizeable membership that continued
to attend meetings, and serve on committees without noticing this.

Leo Van Der Loo

Hi George

Your right about that but, you sure can take fatter slices and cut
faster with soft wet wood than with hard and dry IMO.

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

George wrote:
"

Why should the moisture content matter? Gravity works fine for wet and
dry.

Leo Van Der Loo

Hi Arch

Thanks for the heads up, never even considered all those. but did think
of maybe lawyer involvement not to forget insurance , there must be some
more I'm sure.

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

Arch wrote:

Bill, be careful what games you wish for. Any group that can argue for
days about chuck jaws probably shouldn't be involved in competitions
involving machinery and sharp tools.

In addition to the mayhem, have you considered steroid use, plugged
gouge handles, corporate sponsors, ad patches on clothes, salary caps,
pro vs am, interminable regional playoffs, rowdy spectators, player's
unions, government oversight,TV contracts; just for starters.

In the grand tradition of rcw, I try to be cheerful, supportive and
optimistic.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

neill

I should not be writing this, because you have obviously not read the
messages to this point as written, but through some sort of personal filter
that fails to connect accusations, challenges and ad hominems to the persons
who have written them and the order of who was pontificating and who
replying.

So, as before, I will continue to consider this place to be about turning,
not people. Where there are things which pertain to all places and people,
I will continue to make them as simple declarations of fact - third person.
Those things I do, favor, or want will continue in first person singular so
as to be properly identified to those who understand the difference by
grammar.

it was never personal for me. i have no ego invested in this. its just about
the turning and the ideas.
......so it was just a misunderstanding then. i hope there are no hard
feelings.

neill

On Wed, 4 May 2005 21:35:32 -0700, Bill Rubenstein wrote
(in message ):

Ok, now is my chance to expose to the world a little game I've been
inventing in my spare time. It isn't fully developed -- as you'll see
in a moment.

It is called (preliminary) -- team turning. A team is made up of one
lathe with a standard sized bowl blank, one catcher with a 35 gallon
trash container and one turner.

The winning team is the one which fills the trash container the
quickest. It is not allowed, though, for anyone to handle the shavings
-- they have to go into the container on the fly.

Big, hogging cuts may remove more material quickly but a continuous
stream of shavings could fill the bucket more quickly.

Also, maybe there should be a line around the lathe and the bucket
cannot go within the line.

Any comments?

Bill

that sounds like a lot of fun. as well as a great way to waste wood.

waiting for someone to chime in with the Bill Jones quote about the Utah egg
cup races

Owen Lowe

In article ,

am i missing something or did oneway do a lousy job planning the sizes of
their jaws.
#2 jaws will grab a tennon from 1 3/4"-3 1/4".
#3 jaws will grab a tennon from 3 7/8"-5 1/4".
so anything larger than 3 1/4" but smaller than 3 7/8" is not covered.
now they have the new #4 jaws.
#4 jaws will grab a tennon from 4 1/4"-5 3/4".

Hi Neill, after all of this I think you should chuck the Oneways and
look into the Vicmarcs. But then again, I might be a little biased.

George

"Leo Van Der Loo" wrote in message
Hi George

Your right about that but, you sure can take fatter slices and cut
faster with soft wet wood than with hard and dry IMO.

Have fun and take care

No doubt the rules committee will have to level the field. If the game is
won by filling the bag, thin cuts with fast advance make great mats of
"Afro" shavings. You're getting more air than wood, but fills up fast.
That is a bit tougher with wet, because they pack....

mac davis

On Fri, 6 May 2005 06:52:59 -0400, "George" george@least wrote:

"Leo Van Der Loo" wrote in message
Hi George

Your right about that but, you sure can take fatter slices and cut
faster with soft wet wood than with hard and dry IMO.

Have fun and take care

No doubt the rules committee will have to level the field. If the game is
won by filling the bag, thin cuts with fast advance make great mats of
"Afro" shavings. You're getting more air than wood, but fills up fast.
That is a bit tougher with wet, because they pack....

George... I was thinking last night about your question regarding choice of
gouges..
I think the rules committee will have to determine your handicap and supply you
with a tool to help level the playing field.. I was thinking something in the
order of a plastic spoon with a finger nail grind??

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
neill

On Thu, 5 May 2005 23:59:27 -0700, Owen Lowe wrote
(in message ):

#2 jaws will grab a tennon from 1 3/4"-3 1/4".
#3 jaws will grab a tennon from 3 7/8"-5 1/4".
#4 jaws will grab a tennon from 4 1/4"-5 3/4".

Hi Neill, after all of this I think you should chuck the Oneways and
look into the Vicmarcs. But then again, I might be a little biased.

LOL! verry funny Owen!
i would get a vic but i dont like the jaws lol!
seriously though i actually own a vic 120. its one of my 3 main chucks. i use
it for the big wood jaw plates for finnishing bowl bottoms. its a nice chuck
but i never have been able to figure out why vic owners seem to think they
are so supirior.

Owen Lowe

In article ,
neill wrote:

LOL! verry funny Owen!
i would get a vic but i dont like the jaws lol!
seriously though i actually own a vic 120. its one of my 3 main chucks. i use
it for the big wood jaw plates for finnishing bowl bottoms. its a nice chuck
but i never have been able to figure out why vic owners seem to think they
are so supirior.

Well... my likes are the enclosed back, allen key "wrench", and high
quality. (I was able to purchase my Vic back when Southern Woodturning
Supply in Australia was exporting and the US:AUS dollar conversion was
in our favor - as I recall my Vic was about $160 including 10 day
shipping so price was also a motivating factor in Vic's favor.) As to
jaws, I have the standard 2", Shark jaws, stepped dovetail and long
nose. I use the first 3 frequently and the long nose set was purchased
before they came out with their little 1" dovetails - which I'd get now
in place of the long-nose. Between the standard jaws and the stepped
dovetails, I can do all that I generally need to. I like the Shark jaws
for big, honkin', green wood hunks that need a secure hold. The 1"
dovetails would be nice for doing little finials and tops and such.
neill

Well... my likes are the enclosed back, allen key "wrench", and high
quality. (I was able to purchase my Vic back when Southern Woodturning
Supply in Australia was exporting and the US:AUS dollar conversion was
in our favor

yea thats when i got mine too. couldnt resist the price. it is a nice chuck.

http://neillswoodturning.myphotoalbum.com

Bill C.

Bill Rubenstein wrote in message
on Thursday 05 May 2005
08:02 pm:

Heck -- sometimes we start out making a bowl and end up with a very
large napkin ring instead. Maybe that sort of thing should be included
as well?

Bill

I have some experience with that! Well, actually, mine ended up looking more
like a wooden "c" clip.

But the principle (and velocities) are the same.

;-)

Bill

robo hippy

Well, I missed most of this thread as it was going on, and was
surprised to see so much activity. For me, I use a mortice. The closer
the mortice (opening)is in size to the jaw size, the better the hold
is. I would imagion the same is true with a tennon. If I could get more
money for the bowls with the mortice removed, I would take the extra
time to do it, but the buyers don't see any difference, so I won't
waste my time.
robo hippy

neill wrote:
Well... my likes are the enclosed back, allen key "wrench", and

high
quality. (I was able to purchase my Vic back when Southern

Woodturning
Supply in Australia was exporting and the US:AUS dollar conversion

was
in our favor

yea thats when i got mine too. couldnt resist the price. it is a nice

chuck.

http://neillswoodturning.myphotoalbum.com

M.J.

"robo hippy" wrote in message
oups.com...
Well, I missed most of this thread as it was going on, and was
surprised to see so much activity. For me, I use a mortice. The closer
the mortice (opening)is in size to the jaw size, the better the hold
is. I would imagion the same is true with a tennon. If I could get more
money for the bowls with the mortice removed, I would take the extra
time to do it, but the buyers don't see any difference, so I won't
waste my time.
robo hippy

"The buyers don't see any difference".......Does this mean you have offered
properly finished bowls and the buying public rejected them and opted for
your bowls with the mortice still apparent?

--

Regards,
M.J. (Mike) Orr

robo hippy

Properly finished???? Oh, you mean doing it the same way that you do
it. I have offered bowls with the mortice remaining, and with it
removed. The deciding factors, are shape, color, and character of the
wood. Price is some what of a factor, but never has the way the bottom
was finished had an influence on choice. If both are clean, sanded and
finished (no tear out left), and the shapes are the same, it makes
almost no difference to the buyer. If I remove the mortice, I have to
charge more. If they look the same, but one costs more, which one would
you buy?
robo hippy

M.J.

"robo hippy" wrote in message
oups.com...
Properly finished???? Oh, you mean doing it the same way that you do
it. I have offered bowls with the mortice remaining, and with it
removed. The deciding factors, are shape, color, and character of the
wood. Price is some what of a factor, but never has the way the bottom
was finished had an influence on choice. If both are clean, sanded and
finished (no tear out left), and the shapes are the same, it makes
almost no difference to the buyer. If I remove the mortice, I have to
charge more. If they look the same, but one costs more, which one would
you buy?
robo hippy

Simple. I'd buy the one that showed the woodturner cared enough to remove
ALL evidence of how the item was held on the lathe. I do that to all my
turnings just as a matter of pride and if it takes me a couple more minutes
to do so then that is time well spent in my opinion. YMMV..........
--

Regards,
M.J. (Mike) Orr

mac davis

On 11 May 2005 23:28:58 -0700, "robo hippy" wrote:

Properly finished???? Oh, you mean doing it the same way that you do
it. I have offered bowls with the mortice remaining, and with it
removed. The deciding factors, are shape, color, and character of the
wood. Price is some what of a factor, but never has the way the bottom
was finished had an influence on choice. If both are clean, sanded and
finished (no tear out left), and the shapes are the same, it makes
almost no difference to the buyer. If I remove the mortice, I have to
charge more. If they look the same, but one costs more, which one would
you buy?
robo hippy

my "research" indicates that things like bottom treatment, wall thickness, even
walls, etc. are mainly important to another turner.. and you don't sell bowls to
a turner.. *g*

In my personal experience, folks are attracted to color, shape, general
appearance and feel... they don't seem to notice what the bottom of the bowl
looks like, providing it allows the bowl to sit flat and has been sanded and
finished to match the rest of the bowl..

I talked to a turned at a fair that thought that the bottom treatment and finish
that he's taken years to perfect seemed to be more of a detriment to sales, as
it not only adds to the price, but folks didn't seem to get the "hand made"
feeling from them.. (I thought that they were fantastic, almost works of art in
simple walnut bowls, but didn't buy anything)

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
George

"mac davis" wrote in message
my "research" indicates that things like bottom treatment, wall thickness,

even
walls, etc. are mainly important to another turner.. and you don't sell

bowls to
a turner.. *g*

Personally, I like the gal on Wood Central who burns bison silhouettes into
her platters. I think we turners should adopt burned bison as the new
"standard of excellence...."

Bill C.

M.J. wrote in message on Thursday 12 May
2005 12:59 pm:

Simple. I'd buy the one that showed the woodturner cared enough to remove
ALL evidence of how the item was held on the lathe. I do that to all my
turnings just as a matter of pride and if it takes me a couple more
minutes
to do so then that is time well spent in my opinion. YMMV..........

I agree that it doesn't take a whole lot of time to do this and I think it
adds to the appearance of the piece.

What I don't see is the sense of making a religious war out of it.

While I, personally, prefer a finished bowl bottom, I am not a customer.

I repeat: I am not a customer. I bring practical experience to that
perception. A customer, however, brings a checkbook. That means that we
will each have different standards for excellence.

I think that a customer sees a dovetail recess as a design element and
evaluates it on that basis. Some like them, some don't. Sometimes the
dovetail works into the design of the bowl. Other times it sticks out like
a sore thumb. It should, I think, be neatly finished simply because
anything less would look, to my eyes, incomplete. But that is my opinion
and you are entitled to disagree.

If I were to set out a half-dozen bowls with the dovetail and a half-dozen
similar bowls without it and watched the bowls with the dovetail sell at
least as well as those without, my days of bottom finishing, except for
personal use, would be over.

Bill
Arch

Oh Gad Arch, not again!

Gorgeous bowl bottoms that hide all evidence of how they were made are
without which there is nothing. They are so admired and add so much to
the beauty of turned wood bowls as do the backs or bottoms of a Vermeer
painting, a Revere pitcher, A Mozart symphony, a Wallace spoon, a
Wedgewood cup, or a Rodin sculpture. Those lazy artists had no pride of
back or bottom. Little wonder their works are worthless today.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Derek Andrews

Arch wrote:
Gorgeous bowl bottoms that hide all evidence of how they were made are
without which there is nothing. They are so admired and add so much to
the beauty of turned wood bowls as do the backs or bottoms of a Vermeer
painting, a Revere pitcher, A Mozart symphony, a Wallace spoon, a
Wedgewood cup, or a Rodin sculpture. Those lazy artists had no pride of
back or bottom. Little wonder their works are worthless today.

Troll!

I bet that those items which are designed to be picked up are finished
adequately on the their bases. Probably not to the same level of design
or surface quality as the rest of the object, but good enough so as not
to detract in any way from the users enjoyment of the overall work.

There is something about wooden bowls that make people pick them up and
look, and feel, underneath. On many designs the feel of the underside is
important to the overall enjoyment of the piece.

If I were making an exhibition piece that was to be kept in a glass
cabinet (I wish) then maybe I wouldn't worry about leaving the coarse
ugly dovetail on the bottom, because only me and the curator will know
it is there, but every little bowl that is going to be picked up and
fondled is going to feel good all over.

People like nice bottoms. They like feeling them too.

--
Derek Andrews, woodturner

http://www.seafoamwoodturning.com
http://chipshop.blogspot.com

Arch

Derek Andrews,
Your pejorative opinion of what has long been almost a conditioned
knee-kick response on my part about bowl bottoms surprised me. I
presumed, in error, that most here sighed and expected my usual benign
response. Regardless, I thought my first sentence made that clear.

Certainly my "troll!" if that it be, was not directed at you, whom I had
counted a web friend. Perhaps I misunderstand the meaning of "troll!",
but I wonder if others beside you link my style with the past posts
referred to as trolls and I'm the last to know. If so, somebody please
say so and spare me the embarrassment of continuing.

I wish you only the best and retain the right to disagree without being
disagreeable. I didn't realize that my post was disagreeable, but I
didn't mention 'foot fetish'. Even I know that's a "troll!".

Archie McCallister, Stuart, Fla.

Derek Andrews

Arch, my most sincere apologies. I meant absolutely no offense; perhaps
troll!-) would have better conveyed my intent. I was certainly smiling
when I wrote it, and would have been if we had been having a face to
face conversation, which I hope one day we might.

If I had considered your post a true troll, I would have just ignored
it, the best and only way to handle those people. If they wish to waste
time let it be their time and no one else's.

Your posts are always thought provoking and last night you set me off in
a slightly new direction for which I am as ever grateful. So please keep
those posts coming. I realise now that I should have chosen my word
better, so once again my utmost apologies for causing you of all people
any offence.

warmest regards
Derek

Arch wrote:
[...]

robo hippy

For me, the 'religious war'here isn't about how to finish bowl bottoms,
it is about respecting, and not insulting another turners style. As far
as some of us, but not all are concerned, my turnings are 'properly
finisned'. I am very pasionate about my work. Don't tell me that I
don't care enough. I have a great deal of pride in the qulity and
appearance of my work. If I didn't, I would have let those comments
slide.
robo hippy

Derek Andrews wrote:
Arch wrote:
[...]

mac davis

On Fri, 13 May 2005 01:34:10 GMT, Derek Andrews
wrote:

snip

People like nice bottoms. They like feeling them too.

damned right!!!

but what's that got to do with bowls??

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Arch

Derek, as Stuart brightened with the onset of daylight, so did my view
of our tempest in a weed pot. Your explanation is heartily accepted and
I offer mine in return. Yesterday, I lost my little turning pal of 12
years, my beloved mini-schnauzer and admittedly I was grieving and not
myself.

My most admired professor & chief used the Socratic method to teach and
I have always tried to emulate him. This way may not fit a ng format too
well, but I'll forego the cup of hemlock.

Not to start a premptive bottom finishing jihad, but I figure that most
people inspect the bottoms of objects to see who made them and when,
instead of for visual or tactile gratification. That's more for tops and
sides. Those who care check for makers' and guild marks and confirm the
materials used, purity etc. We all hope to find a sterling silver piece
in the two-bit bin, but most buyers of our turnings aren't looking for a
pink ivory bowl turned by a master, altho some of them left tool and
holding marks.

An ugly bottom turns off turners and public alike, but this isn't what
we of lesser pride promote. It's now time for the obligatory, "Let's all
get back to turning".

All best, Arch

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

M.J.

"Bill C." wrote in message
[...]

So if you could get away with producing and selling what even you consider
to be an inferior product ....you would??? Hmmm I wouldn't Bill.........
I think the art/craft deserves the BEST product that one can
produce......... Sadly others in this thread very obviously disagree with
me.....
--

Regards,
M.J. (Mike) Orr

Kevin

A year or so ago there was a post about incorporating the dove-tail recess
into the design of the bowl. Someone mentioned they glue a penny of the
current year into the recess. Perhaps a quarter would provide a better fit.
The turner would then see what year the piece was made as would the customer
while at the same time increasing the value of the bowl.

-Kevin

"Bill C." wrote in message

I think that a customer sees a dovetail recess as a design element and
evaluates it on that basis. Some like them, some don't. Sometimes the
dovetail works into the design of the bowl. Other times it sticks out like
a sore thumb. It should, I think, be neatly finished simply because
anything less would look, to my eyes, incomplete. But that is my opinion
and you are entitled to disagree.

Derek Hartzell

Since my Stronghold #2 jaws require about 2 3/8" minimum recess ( I usually
do a little bigger so I can measure the bottom depth with calipers between
the jaws) I might need an as-yet undeveloped $5 or $10 coin.

"Bill C." wrote in message

I think that a customer sees a dovetail recess as a design element and
evaluates it on that basis. Some like them, some don't. Sometimes the
dovetail works into the design of the bowl. Other times it sticks out like
a sore thumb. It should, I think, be neatly finished simply because
anything less would look, to my eyes, incomplete. But that is my opinion
and you are entitled to disagree.

Owen Lowe

In article ,
"Kevin" wrote:

Perhaps a quarter would provide a better fit.
The turner would then see what year the piece was made as would the customer
while at the same time increasing the value of the bowl.

Perhaps a Euro would be a better choice... )
George

"Kevin" wrote in message
A year or so ago there was a post about incorporating the dove-tail recess
into the design of the bowl. Someone mentioned they glue a penny of the
current year into the recess. Perhaps a quarter would provide a better

fit.
The turner would then see what year the piece was made as would the

customer
while at the same time increasing the value of the bowl.

I'd have to double the price!

I did put our state quarter in some the first year of issue.

It's a nice touch on a salad set given as a wedding present.

neill

On Fri, 13 May 2005 12:11:57 -0700, Kevin wrote
(in message ):

A year or so ago there was a post about incorporating the dove-tail recess
into the design of the bowl. Someone mentioned they glue a penny of the
current year into the recess. Perhaps a quarter would provide a better fit.
The turner would then see what year the piece was made as would the customer
while at the same time increasing the value of the bowl.

LOL!
am i the only one who read this as a jab?

http://neillswoodturning.myphotoalbum.com/

George

"neill" wrote in message
On Fri, 13 May 2005 12:11:57 -0700, Kevin wrote
(in message ):

A year or so ago there was a post about incorporating the dove-tail

recess
into the design of the bowl. Someone mentioned they glue a penny of the
current year into the recess. Perhaps a quarter would provide a better

fit.
The turner would then see what year the piece was made as would the

customer
while at the same time increasing the value of the bowl.

LOL!
am i the only one who read this as a jab?

Honi soit qui mal y pense

Kevin Miller

Arch wrote:
Oh Gad Arch, not again!

Gorgeous bowl bottoms that hide all evidence of how they were made are
without which there is nothing. They are so admired and add so much to
the beauty of turned wood bowls as do the backs or bottoms of a Vermeer
painting, a Revere pitcher, A Mozart symphony, a Wallace spoon, a
Wedgewood cup, or a Rodin sculpture. Those lazy artists had no pride of
back or bottom. Little wonder their works are worthless today.

Jolly good showing ol' bean. Hereby promoted to the prestigious rank of
COC 1st Class, with all rights, privileges and honors incumbent upon
that office.

Congratulations!

....Kevin
--