Pat Ford

"DeepDiver" wrote in message
"wallster" wrote in message
alright all you creative geniuses, put on your thinking caps. Every year
(about this time) i run across discarded lawnmowers. I cant help myself,

almost always stop and pick them up. Sometimes i get them running and

sell
them for some always needed beer money. But alot of the time, the deck

is
rotted beyond repair so i'll remove the wheels and engine and hope to

use
it another time. I just have to make something cool using a vertical

shaft
engine, the horizontals get all the glory. Besides a home-built

generator,
what projects have you folks made using these engines?

I haven't made one of these, but as a kid I dreamed about building my very
own hovercraft using lawnmower engines.

- Michael

aircompressor, take the carb off run a pipe up the an aircleaner, take the
muffler off run a pipe up to the an aircleaner. open the valve cover rotate
the egine until one of the tappets is all the way out and cut it off, do the
same for the other tappet.
Heat the valve spring until the are soft enough that they just close the
valve.
Replace spark plug with a check valve ( orientation of the valve is left as
an exercise for the reader).
get another old motor, remove blade, replace with fanbelt, do the same on
compressor.
Bingo a 3.5 HP aircompressor, that has a lube system, forced aircooling of
the cyclinder and can get to 160PSI depending on the quality of motor used.
It gives fairly good airflow too.
Pat