Kelly Jones

Sorry to disagree, but if you don't want to pay the higher price for the
good stuff then how can you fault them for offering the cheap stuff? Same
arguement for HF and Chinese lathes and stuff. They are filling a market
need. People seem to be willing to accept the inferior stuff because it's
got the right price on it.

"Jim Stewart" wrote in message
Friday I laid into the kids doing assembly because
they kept using #1 philips drivers on #2 screws and
buggering the heads.

I figured I'd swing by swing by Sears on Saturday
and get another handfull of #2 philips screwdrivers
so there would be no excuses. I've bought the
screwdrivers with blue/clear handles for years and
found that they last a long time. Well, I get to
Sears and look at them and what used to be a nice
crisp tip now looks like a poor sand casting.

But not to worry, Craftsman now has a "Pro" screwdriver
that has a nice crisp tip and costs $3 more.

Jerks.

#! rnews 1914
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.system
From: James Glidewell
Subject: Partitions?
Sender: (Boeing NNTP News Access)
Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 18:59:52 GMT

nospam wrote:
In article , David Magda
wrote:

I would think that putting swap files on a separate disk would help
things. Less disk contention and all that.

on an entirely seperate harddrive it may have a beneficial effect
because you can have simultaneous read/write to different drives.

But only if you actually swap. And if you do, the performance penalty
is so great compared to not swapping that any difference would be
almost impossible to discern.

If you are seeing significant "spinning beach ball" time, then going
to a separate swap drive might reduce the amount of time you spend
staring at the beach ball by 10% or so. But increasing the memory
can come close to eliminating it completely (and/or reducing the
frequency). Sometimes, that isn't an option, due to budget or
hardware, but the number of cases where a swap drive is a better
solution than memory is pretty darned small.

putting the swap on a second partition of the *same* drive is stupid.

In a word, yes.