Gunner

On 11 May 2005 16:33:53 -0700, "shedfull" wrote:

Ok I'm stuck, I want to remove the chuck from my lathe,a Colchester
Master Mk 2, Clausing 80000? this has the American taper L0 secured by
a large threaded collar.

I've read the manual, no help, searched the groups, nope.

I don't want to break anything so I thought I'd ask.

People I've spoken to have said use the large c spanner (got that) and
shock the collar loose, but the spindle & chuck just turn, the collar
doesn't loosen. Tried pieces of wood to chock the chuck, bars in chuck,
you name it.

I don't want to put the lahte in gear and heave 'cos it might break the
gear etc.

Ideas ?

TIA

Lee

Place both gear handles (top of the lathe) in the lowest speed
postion. (knobs closest to each other). If your lathe was equpped with
foot brake, stand on it.

Place spanner on collar and rap firmly with shop hammer in a downward
direction. When collar turns, place a small piece of plywood across
the ways to protect them, and then unscrew the collar while holding
the chuck, which will suddenly become very heavy (hence the plywood if
you drop it).

Clean out taper well with air or brush before putting the chuck back
on.

It doesnt need a rap with a hammer on the spanner when reinstalling,
unless you are doing a great deal of interupted cut work,

Gunner, Clausing/Cochester 13x16 (US designation)

Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends
of every country save their own. Benjamin Disraeli