Spehro Pefhany

On Thu, 12 May 2005 06:00:07 GMT, the renowned "DeepDiver"
wrote:

"Jim Stewart" wrote in message

When I first read you post, I thought you were talking about your own
children, not employees. That said, the priciples of mentoring and managing
are the same: teach, reward, dicipline, and punish.

Tell them how you want it done, period: no exceptions. For those who do it
right, reward them with praise, a raise, and/or a bonus (doesn't have to be
cash: it could be a hour off early on Friday, your treating them to lunch,
movie tickets, etc.). For those who do it wrong, discipline with some
one-on-one performance reviews. If they still don't learn, then apply
punishment (e.g., deduct the cost of their damage from their paycheck). If
ultimately, an employee is unwilling to do it the right way, then I'd fire
him because there is a bigger problem involved than just your buggered
screws.

Simply lay down the rules, explain the consequences, and then stick to your
guns. (This, btw, is perhaps the greatest failing of parents and employers
alike: they either don't make the rules and consequences clear and
well-defined, or they fail to enforce them.) Your employees, like children,
will be happy knowing exactly what is expected of them in their jobs, you
will have your management duties clearly outlined so you'll never have to
wonder how to handle a problem situation, and you will ultimately benefit
from a well-run shop.

And remember: always praise in public, and reprimand in private!

Regards,
Michael

And if you're in a country where employees have strong rights (UK,
Europe, Canada, Israel, etc.) keep written records of the reprimands
and be careful that the praise is factual and deserved.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany