carl mciver

"~Roy~" wrote in message

| I'd have to dissagree on shooting rivets in an aluminum boat "wet'
| Been around and worked on a lot of them already as well as aircraft
| for over 30 years and there is very few areas where there is a need to
| shoot a wet rivet or fastener, with the fuel cells or pressurized
| cabins being the most common areas. A properly installed rivet shuld
| not leak period. An aircraft is not in a wet environment per se, but
| flying at high speeds in rain will certainly push and make water get
| into areas its not supposed to be in and still they are not shot wet.
|

| Most rivets used on aluminum boats are upset or bucked, not pulled!
|
| ==============================================
| Put some color in your cheeks...garden naked!
|
| ~~~~ }((((o ~~~~~~ }{{{{o ~~~~~~~ }(((((o

We are both correct, but for different reasons. You are very correct
when you say that a properly installed river should not leak, but
unfortunately, on a boat, and with the membership of this group not being
boat or aircraft people (no insult meant) there will undoubtedly be a few
(or more) holes or rivets that are far from perfect, so the sealant is there
to make up for what is less than perfect.
If it were a boat that were mine, I'd for sure teach someone in my
family how to buck and we'd go to town, but that's an investment of time,
tools, and skills that most folks don't have. En masse on an assembly line
it makes a lot more sense. Good pop rivets and sealant _should_ make up for
most deficiencies inherent in the general population. I'd just as soon add
the extra layer of security, especially considering the cost of doing it vs.
not doing it and having a dozen or more slow leaks that require rivet
removal, which makes bad holes worse.