carl mciver

wrote:
| "Ignoramus20962" wrote in message
|
| SNIP
| . Turned out that I had a bunch of
| | nice 10-32 aluminum screws, including some amusing ones with the hole
| | for allen wrenches on the SHARP end, and flat (no slot) conical head.
| SNIP
|
| Look like this? http://www.hi-shear.com/fastener_hl_stds.htm
|
| Yes, now I think that they are titanium pins. So, this means that I
| will be giving to my friend both titanium pins, as well as aluminum
| screws.

SNIP

| Very interesting!
|
| The killer on these comes to removal. The hex end holds it from
| spinning, should it be so inclined, during rundown and nut removal. To
get
| the shear type nuts off, it pretty much looks like a split nut cutter or
| evil looking pair of pliers. Really easy to screw up getting them out,
and
| usually you'll have to go oversized when you replace them anyway.
|
| Well, looks like it is inappropriate to use titanium with aluminum, so
| I doubt that he will use them on the boat...

Well, most likely the pins are coated with a stuff that allows them to
be used in aluminum. Only when stainless or funky allows are used are the
pins installed "wet" with sealant to prevent corrosion. Keep in mind that
if there is no gap of any kind to allow moisture or air into the joint,
corrosion will be unlikely to start.