Prometheus

On Mon, 09 May 2005 22:03:07 -0400, Leo Van Der Loo
wrote:

Hi Prometheus

Picture isn't that great, but it looks like nice maple, and a pleasing
shape, but I would not wait for the wood to dry, without giving the wood
some room to shrink and move or IT WILL SPLIT, drill a LARGE hole in the
bottom as far up as you dare, without going through the top, you can
later when the wood is dry install a plug.
That way you might get away without having the wood look like a nice
piece of firewood, and that would be a shame.

Yeah, unfortunately photography is a skill I have not been able to
learn well.... despite my best efforts. As far as the drying goes,
the log was dry as paper when I cut it (extremely light for maple),
and it's already been finished with the topcoat. As you might have
seen from the picture (or not, it wasn't a great photo) the log is
already split from fully drying in the woods. The drying I was
referring to was the poly on the surface- I didn't want to leave
prints in it or embed bits of sawdust in the partially cured surface
buy jumping the gun when sawing off the tenon.

I'll definately keep your advice in mind when I inevitably find a
piece of wet wood I want to turn, though!

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

Prometheus wrote:
Hello all,

To those of you who offered your advice regarding collecting deadfall
a while back- thanks again! I finally got around to getting out and
looking a bit, and discovered that the stuff wasn't that hard to
identify, as most of it was right next to the tree it fell off of.

Anyhow, I found a pretty decent hunk of spalted maple, and posted a
couple of pics of the first thing I turned out of it on ABPW under the
header "Found wood lamp", for anyone who is wondering how it turned
out.

Looking forward to getting a good pile of blanks together for those
times when the lumber budget gets a bit slim.

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam