mac davis

On Sat, 7 May 2005 17:44:09 -0400, (Arch) wrote:

Excellent work doesn't arise 'de nouveau'.
Fine turnings result from hard work and attention to detail. At least I
think that's true. Question: where is it written that to advance, we
must always do the best we can? Answer: Everywhere.

Almost every instructional demo, article or posting admonishes us to
turn at our max and strive for even higher, no exceptions. It appears
that anything less is anathema and the attitude of a flawed woodturner.

Reasonably good but less than best may be unacceptable, even for
production work, but this isn't about turning 50 fine bannisters or a
superior one-off object. It's about sloppy turning, happy and
unfettered. Is it wrong to just have fun with no need to eternally reach
for unattainable perfection?

Forget art vs craft, grind vs hone, peel vs punch, and all that;
carefree vs compulsive is the debate du jour. If there are no rules, no
always, no nevers and no turning police, am I a heretic for not trying
for my best at the lathe every time?

Is this a fault of one carefree underachiever or are there other
part-time slobs out there? If so, can the compulsive overachievers ever
understand us? Moreover, who cares?

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

yes and no, but not right away.. *g*

My ego prevents me from imagining perfection in my work, but I'm trying to get
better and more efficient with each turning..

OTOH, I'll often just chuck up a foot or so of branch wood and make shavings...
sure, I'm often trying things that I read about here that day, but mostly doing
it for the joy of turning..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing