George

"Joe Fleming" wrote in message
oups.com...
Your comment goes to the question: "Why do I turn?"

Some turn for the challenge - they might want to improve. Some turn
for fun and are quite satisfied with their product. Some turn for
commerce where speed, quality and cost containment mean everything.

Faults? No. Only different motivations.

Concisely and correctly put. Though a hobby turner can be any or none at
different times. I tend to turn in "tears" as the musicians have it. I get
an idea and make it over and over, varying a bit here and there, making in
different wood, even, as the current fascination - plates, moving the center
around to make an otherwise regular piece of scrap look different. I have a
feeling that the 4x7 pine cutoff I turned may end the obsession for me.
That, and the fact that if I don't get off my duff and final turn some of
those roughs, I may not have enough commercial product to pay the kid's
college....