harrogate

Default Electric pylons... are they noisy?

"Dave" wrote in message
We're planning to move soon but noticed there are overhead electric

pylons
in some parts of the town... health and aesthetic issues aside, we are

also
concerned about the fizzy and/or buzzing noise they are said to make.

Anyone confirm this and suggest at what distance the noise should be
inaudible?

I have often heard the overhead lines near me buzzing in damp weather. I
dont know whether it only happens at the pylons or not, but there is a

pylon
within about 30 metres of where I have heard buzzing.

At high voltages (275KV and 440KV) there is often a fizzing noise caused by
low level corona discharge around the glass insulators. This discharge can
be visible on a dark night, especially during rain or high humidity.

The main downside is that the discharge can produce wideband electrical
noise which can upset anything from your hi-fi to your TV to your computor,
depending on level and distance.

--
Woody