Panos Popadopalous

"DanaK" wrote in message
news

I'm trying to do some repairs on a house on our ranch the previous owner
wired himself, which should set off a bunch of alarm bells right there.
In one room there is a window air conditioning unit that's marked as
using 230v a/c. As I remember, 230v is only one leg of three phase
service. Is this correct?

Anyway, the people who lease the ranch SAY the a/c unit was working up
until recently. I checked the wall plug, which has one verticle power
blade and one horizontal along with the round ground one, and I get
120v to ground on one blade and nothing to ground on the other.
Between the flat blades I get nothing which tells me there's some kind
of break in the line (a breaker somewhere or it's burned in two) which
goes Lord knows where. I'd need an Ouigi board to ask the guy how he
wired this as he passed away a couple of years ago and the walls are
all recycled shiplap. I'm just glad the place hasn't burned to the
ground yet.

The house has only 120v service to it that I can tell (the stove is
wired for 220v). How this was working up until now I don't know unless
it was just the internal fan that was blowing. Is there a way to use
120v, or 220v, on 230v system? That sounds crazy to me and the
information panel on the a/c unit doesn't hint at a re-wiring option
like I've seen on some A/C motors.

Thanks in advance for anyone's insight out there.

--
DanaK

If your house is wired for 120V service, there is no way you can get proper
230V operation of any 230 V appliance..

If the stove operated it was running at about its normal wattage.

You say the stove has an "internal fan". Never heard of that. try again.

I recommend you hire an experienced , licensed electrician to check this out
before you burn out an appliance, or someone gets Electrocuted!