tom patton

Yup
I agree the Paslode nailer for me has not produced the goods.
Its heavy- difficult to use-lethal for down nailing on 45mm rafters.
Mine was temperamental and unreliable.Mega expensive to use-gas nails-£20.
The brickie could easily beat me at hammering in nails with his hammer-we
put 1000+ nails in yesterday in my Kerto beams.
I did get half my hire money back from the hire centre tho so it was a
learning experience.
I am now using my superb Eastwing hammer-Christmas present.
On your chain saw comment I ve been using them for 20 years I am amazed
anyone can buy them they are on sale everywhere but I agree with you they
need major respect.
My local hire centre has a large notice saying only certificated hirers will
get chainsaws he told me he stopped hiring them for a while because of the
never ending hassles.
"Rick" wrote in message
On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 23:08:16 GMT, "tom patton"
wrote:

I have been putting up the rafters in my extension 10 rafters 220x45x4.5
metres.Started screwing them together with philips screws got bored after
100 and thought a Paslode would work better.
Why not a hammer.
1 Its medieval.
2 I cannot hammer in nails for toffee.
3 I have neuron disease so shocks travelling around are not a good idea.
Off to the hire shop emerged with gas and nailer £50 lighter-a weeks
hire-Ive got 2000 nails to go.
Ist observation a 4000 nail pack costs about £50 including gas-there are

850
D-I-Y packs--if you can find them.I got 1000 nails "left over" and a can

of
gas for £15.
Up the scaffold nailing the rafters second nail clipped the edge of the
rafter and pinged between my legs whining off the concrete floor-respect
needed here.
Its awkward to use nailing in corners and needs a fair bit
strength/technique to use but once you get the hang of it its great for
dwanging the rafters which eats up fixings.
Its surprisingly light 2.5 kilo s and well balanced.You must think out

your
technique of using in confined spaces-my wife is much better at using it
than me.
She hides behind the wall when I use it!!.
You must unload the battery when you move it as its almost always armed

when
its got battery and gas in.
Its certainly not a tool for slipshod operation and you need to be aware
when its charged up-it charges up when you strike the wood to be fastened

found this irritating- the charge time seemed to last forever but then

you
can bang in several nails with one charge.

I used one of these the other day, and it lives up there neer the top
of my list of dangerous tools, neer "chain saw" and "ladder".

Rick