tom

May 8, 12:09 am Newsgroups:
rec.woodworking
From: - Find messages by this author
Date: 7 May 2005 Hi,

I don't remember seeing pics of the new Veritas honing guide posted
here. I found the links on www.ukworkshop.co.uk posted by Rob Lee

http://www.leevalley.com/home/=ADtemprl/hg1.jpg
http://www.leevalley.com/home/=ADtemprl/hg2.jpg
http://www.leevalley.com/home/=ADtemprl/hg3.jpg

It looks like a great guide if you are not using back bevels. But what
strikes me is the guide is designed to make a low angle back bevel as
well as regular bevels. But if you are sharpening with this jig and
using a back bevel then how do you switch between the the two bevels to

progress through the grits? I think you have to continually flip the
blade in the guide or work one side to the final grit and then switch
once to work the other side through the grits. But what about removing
the wire edge at each stage? Then you would have to continually flip
the blade in the guide. Any ideas? snip

I think that back bevel is best put on at or near the end stage... and
I'd "dewire" clear at the final grit. Tom.