J. Nielsen

On Sun, 08 May 2005 01:31:23 GMT, "DeepDiver" wrote:

Most coolant pumps are of the in-tank style: the motor is suspended =

above=20
the coolant tank, while the pump housing, shaft, and impeller are =

submerged=20
in the coolant. These are fairly simple pump designs with not much that =

can=20
go wrong with them.

At one point we had the separate coolant systems on our grinders =
replaced
with a single system, placed outside the shop. From the grinders the =
coolant
would run into a single filtering tank inside the shop. When the level =
rose
over a certain point, a pump would start, and empty the tank back into =
the
outside system.

All in all a simple and foolproof system - except the return pump =
couldn't
keep up when all the grinders were running at the same time.

The Boss and the electrician was trying to decide whether to replace =
the
pump with a bigger one or add an extra, when the local shop Know-It-All
(yours truly) showed up, and suggested they reversed the rotation of the
pump.

For the next few minutes I basked in the faint red glow from their =
faces.
while the electrician switched the wires.g=20
=20

=20
--=20

-JN-