wallster

http://www.msha.gov/Accident_Prevent...etylenegas.htm

"
a.. Acetylene forms explosive compounds with copper, brass, copper salts,
mercury/mercury salts, silver/silver salts and nitric acid. Under no
circumstances should acetylene gas come in contact with unalloyed copper,
except in a torch. Any contact of acetylene with high-alloyed copper
piping will generate copper acetylide, which is very reactive and may
result in a violent explosion. Also, an explosion hazard will result if
the gas comes into contact with silver bearing materials such as those
used in silver-brazed pipeline joints. "

Ken.

Hey Ken, I cant believe more people dont get blown up based on all the
warnings that acetylene comes with. I very (maybe twice) seldom have ever
heard about acetylene exploding. There are tons of automotive service
establishments that use it everyday along with steel fabricating companies,
ship yards, etc...
But apparently it's a BAD idea to fill rubber balloons with acetylene and
store them behind your truck seat. Good old static electricity can be a
problem.
http://www.esdjournal.com/static/Kan...er%20truck.htm

walt