On 6 May 2005 14:50:21 -0700, "wallster"
wrote:

I recently up-sized my acetylene cylinder from a 40cf (B) to a 60cf
(wq)tank.
When I tried to attach the spud end of the regulator to the new
cylinder, the regulator gauge hits the rim of the cylinder so i
couldn't tighten the regulator spud nut. I stopped by the hardware
store (the welding store was closed by now) and (of course) they didn't
have any regulator parts. But they did have brass fittings. I removed
the spud from the regulator and replaced it with a 1.5" double ended
brass fitting, then a brass coupler, then the original spud (to
lengthen the spud). I used teflon tape on all the fittings. It works
fine with no leaks. The regulator is brass so i figured brass fittings
are adequate.(i know copper is not)
Does anyone have any thoughts or safety concerns with this set up?

thanks,
walt

BOC (British Oxygen) specify that joints or fittings in contact
with acetylene must not be of copper or any alloy containing more than
70% copper.

Jim