Tom Watson

On Thu, 05 May 2005 05:31:05 GMT, "BillyBob"
wrote:

I am making the top for a TV cabinet (Mission Style) and it will be
25"x42"x1" - I have a good supply of 5/4 red oak and am wondering if it
would be wise to glue up 4" strips to make the top or just go with 3 - 8"
pieces? The wood is flatsawn and not quartersawn.

Any advise or comments appreciated. . .

BillyB

I'd keep your widest boards wide and fit the smaller ones in as they
look best on the show face of the glueup.

You will find guys that will tell you to flip the grain orientation
but I wouldn't pay them much mind.

There are co-equal evils in keeping the wood bark side up and down -
as well as flipping them in pieces that are three or four inches wide.

I'd go for the best look and depend on the joinery and bracing to take
care of the inevitable instability.

Tom Watson - WoodDorker
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/ (website)