Larry Jaques

On Fri, 6 May 2005 09:18:13 -0500, the inscrutable Hax Planx
spake:

Larry Jaques says...

P.P.S: Note to Hax: You can easily hone a 2" wide iron on a 1x3"
diamond hone plate once you learn how. Can you say "figure 8"? I knew
you could. (2x6" is gravy; an aircraft carrier.)

But my comments concerned the size needed for card scrapers and when
using honing guides. I've used a 2x6" stone in both of those cases, but
it was far from ideal.

Why do you say that? I've had no problem with either task on a 2x6.
My DMT 600 grit stone is the mainstay of my sharpening system and I
haven't found anything I can't sharpen on it. (Though the inside of
gouges do well with the diamond cone.)

Hmmm, I use a General honing guide, where the wheel is off the stone.
That might make a difference, but you could always mortise out a
little pocket for the stone (or build up a block on a plywood flat) so
it's the same height as your roller if you have an integral unit.

shrug I've always found quick and simple ways to use the tools at
hand, though I know not everyone is wired that way.

No matter how hard you try, you cannot baptize a cat.
http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development