AAvK

Default Think these diamond stones are a good deal?

I think the close-up shot makes them look pretty look, maybe they could be
used for flattening and hogging off metal or initial sharpening, any opinions?

Alex - newbie_neander in woodworking
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com
not my site: http://www.e-sword.net/

AAvK

I think the close-up shot makes them look pretty "look" ... oops ... naw .... "GOOD"?

... yeah that's better ...

Dave in Fairfax

AAvK wrote:
I think the close-up shot makes them look pretty look, maybe they could be
used for flattening and hogging off metal or initial sharpening, any opinions?

They sure look a lot like the HF ones. The price is about 3X as
much though.

Dave in Farfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work
Clint

Are you saying the HF are 3x the price of the eBay ones, or vice versa? $15
for a set of three stones seems pretty cheap... Cheap enough to make me
think about finding someone in the States to recieve them for me, and
forward them up north.

Clint

"Dave in Fairfax" wrote in message
AAvK wrote:
I think the close-up shot makes them look pretty look, maybe they could

be
used for flattening and hogging off metal or initial sharpening, any

opinions?

They sure look a lot like the HF ones. The price is about 3X as
much though.

Dave in Farfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work
use:
daveldr at att dot net
American Association of Woodturners
http://www.woodturner.org
Capital Area Woodturners
http://www.capwoodturners.org/
PATINA
http://www.Patinatools.org/

Unquestionably Confused

on 5/4/2005 1:25 PM Clint said the following:
Are you saying the HF are 3x the price of the eBay ones, or vice versa? $15
for a set of three stones seems pretty cheap... Cheap enough to make me
think about finding someone in the States to recieve them for me, and
forward them up north.

Think he means the HF are the cheaper of the two. They BIN price is
$45. I bought a set of the Harbor Freight ones, Think I got them for
well under $10 on sale. I'm thinking around $7 or $8 which is probably
less than the shipping the eBay seller was asking. Mine work just fine.

I don't like a lot of what I see at Harbor Freight but they do have some
great deals on items that you could almost consider "disposables."

Sales staff are pretty decent to deal with too. I was going to by some
diamond cutoff blades for the Dremel tool and asked for a package of
them at $9.99. Clerk opened the showcase for me to take gander and
whispered "If you come in here next weekend, we'll have them on sale for
$1.99 - more often than not they are on sale for that price. Wait if
you can."

I did and bought what's probably a lifetime supply for way less than I'd
have spent on the single packg

Dave in Fairfax

Unquestionably Confused wrote:
Think he means the HF are the cheaper of the two. They BIN price is
$45. I bought a set of the Harbor Freight ones, Think I got them for
well under $10 on sale. I'm thinking around $7 or $8 which is probably
less than the shipping the eBay seller was asking. Mine work just fine.

snip

Exactly. The opening bid is more than they cost at HF, tack on
shipping and you're WAAY over their real cost. They're worth the
HF cost, but I wouldn't pay what it's going to cost you to get
them from him. Go over to www.harborfreight.com and look them up,
see what it will cost to buy them their if you realy want them.
They don't go very fine, 320 grit IIRC.

Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work
use:
daveldr at att dot net
American Association of Woodturners
http://www.woodturner.org
Capital Area Woodturners
http://www.capwoodturners.org/
PATINA
http://www.Patinatools.org/
Clint

Damn, we need a HF up here in Canada! I'll have to check out some
alternate sources up here... My first check (House of Tools) was $45CDN for
a set of 3. Lee Valley (and I'm sure these are wonderful stones...) are $45
or more EACH.

Clint

"Joe" wrote in message
Here's HF's

36799-3VGA
Diamond Life
3 PC. 2'' x 6'' DIAMOND HONE BLOCKS $12.99

Clint said the following:
[...]

AAvK

snip

Exactly. The opening bid is more than they cost at HF, tack on
shipping and you're WAAY over their real cost. They're worth the
HF cost, but I wouldn't pay what it's going to cost you to get
them from him. Go over to www.harborfreight.com and look them up,
see what it will cost to buy them their if you realy want them.
They don't go very fine, 320 grit IIRC.

Dave in Fairfax

Nooooooo... the ones on HF are 2"x6", eBay 3"x8", both go to 360 grit DUDE!
If I get them on eBay the cost totals to about $25, with handling (HF does charge
a seperate handling fee BTW), tax and S/H at HF, maybe $3 less? Either way,
anyone buying either is screwed-blued-tatooed and...* no matter what. I bought
the big ones.

--
Alex - newbie_neander in woodworking
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com
not my site: http://www.e-sword.net/

AAvK

Are you saying the HF are 3x the price of the eBay ones, or vice versa? $15
for a set of three stones seems pretty cheap... Cheap enough to make me
think about finding someone in the States to recieve them for me, and
forward them up north.

Clint

$45CDN = $36US currently, considering two shipping payments it won't be cost
effective (or barely) unless you have to have the 8"x3" size. To do that you might
have to send someone quasi-cash via Paypal, then they do the bidding and recieving
and forwarding for you. It would add up to about the same $ I think...

--
Alex - newbie_neander in woodworking
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com
not my site: http://www.e-sword.net/

Dave in Fairfax

AAvK wrote:
Nooooooo... the ones on HF are 2"x6", eBay 3"x8", both go to 360 grit DUDE!
If I get them on eBay the cost totals to about $25, with handling (HF does charge
a seperate handling fee BTW), tax and S/H at HF, maybe $3 less? Either way,
anyone buying either is screwed-blued-tatooed and...* no matter what. I bought
the big ones.

I bow to your superior homework. %-) I was going by what I
remembered seeing them for, at the store. They mighta been on
sale, 'cause I don't remember them being that much, and I sure
didn't measure them. OTOH, I don't have to pay S&H at the store
either.

Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work
use:
daveldr at att dot net
American Association of Woodturners
http://www.woodturner.org
Capital Area Woodturners
http://www.capwoodturners.org/
PATINA
http://www.Patinatools.org/

Joe

The difference in the HF size and the eBay size I feel is insignificant. Why
would you want to pay 3 x's the price on eBay when there are HF stores all
over the country you could go to and save money?

"AAvK" wrote in message

Are you saying the HF are 3x the price of the eBay ones, or vice versa?

$15
for a set of three stones seems pretty cheap... Cheap enough to make me
think about finding someone in the States to recieve them for me, and
forward them up north.

Clint

$45CDN = $36US currently, considering two shipping payments it won't be

cost
effective (or barely) unless you have to have the 8"x3" size. To do that

you might
have to send someone quasi-cash via Paypal, then they do the bidding and

recieving
and forwarding for you. It would add up to about the same $ I think...

--
Alex - newbie_neander in woodworking
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com
not my site: http://www.e-sword.net/

AAvK

I bow to your superior homework. %-)

definitely not

I was going by what I
remembered seeing them for, at the store. They mighta been on
sale, 'cause I don't remember them being that much, and I sure
didn't measure them. OTOH, I don't have to pay S&H at the store
either.

Dave in Fairfax

I thought of that after I posted the reply, $12.99 is $12.99. But that 8"x3" size
is worth it.

--
Alex - newbie_neander in woodworking
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com
not my site: http://www.e-sword.net/

AAvK

The difference in the HF size and the eBay size I feel is insignificant. Why
would you want to pay 3 x's the price on eBay when there are HF stores all
over the country you could go to and save money?

8"x3" is much better than 6"x2"! And, it is merely twice as much. My nearest
HF is 50 minutes drive from my residents.

--
Alex - newbie_neander in woodworking
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com
not my site: http://www.e-sword.net/

Dick

I got a set from H/F on sale for 8 or 9 dollars and find that the 2 x
6" size are plenty large enough to use on anything I would want to sharpen.
I have found that the finest grit size is way to coarse to sharpen anything
other than maybe an ax.
Dick

"AAvK" wrote in message

The difference in the HF size and the eBay size I feel is insignificant.
Why
would you want to pay 3 x's the price on eBay when there are HF stores
all
over the country you could go to and save money?

8"x3" is much better than 6"x2"! And, it is merely twice as much. My
nearest
HF is 50 minutes drive from my residents.

--
Alex - newbie_neander in woodworking
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com
not my site: http://www.e-sword.net/

Larry Jaques

On Thu, 05 May 2005 04:43:23 GMT, the inscrutable "Dick"
spake:

I got a set from H/F on sale for 8 or 9 dollars and find that the 2 x
6" size are plenty large enough to use on anything I would want to sharpen.
I have found that the finest grit size is way to coarse to sharpen anything
other than maybe an ax.

Right, their finest is 320 grit, and that's a stretch from what I
hear. I'd buy a set of HFs to flatten a whetstone or quickly grind a
new shape on an iron. They're excellent for removing metal. But I'd
save my DMT and EZLap plates for real sharpening.

--
"Excess regulation and government spending destroy jobs and increase
unemployment. Every regulator we fire results in the creation of over

VOTE LIBERTARIAN OR YOU WON'T CHANGE ANYTHING.

Hax Planx

Dick says...

I got a set from H/F on sale for 8 or 9 dollars and find that the 2 x
6" size are plenty large enough to use on anything I would want to sharpen.
I have found that the finest grit size is way to coarse to sharpen anything
other than maybe an ax.

2 x 6 isn't big enough for a card scraper. Gets cramped with a honing
guide too. I thought the same thing about the grit numbers. That is
three super coarse grits good only for removing nicks or changing a
bevel angle.
AAvK

Dick says...

I got a set from H/F on sale for 8 or 9 dollars and find that the 2 x
6" size are plenty large enough to use on anything I would want to sharpen.
I have found that the finest grit size is way to coarse to sharpen anything
other than maybe an ax.

Larry sez:

2 x 6 isn't big enough for a card scraper. Gets cramped with a honing
guide too. I thought the same thing about the grit numbers. That is
three super coarse grits good only for removing nicks or changing a
bevel angle.

That's the exact common sense I am using. Utilitarian. Basic. The beginning metal
work, and flattening stones. 3"x8" is NICE size.

--
Alex - newbie_neander in woodworking
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com
not my site: http://www.e-sword.net/

Art and Diane

I got the HF version a couple of weeks ago (I think it was $9 or $10).
I see there is a mention that one stone is 320 grit. Does anyone know
the grits of each by color? It didn't say on the package.

Thanks,
Art

Dave in Fairfax wrote:

Clint said the following:

[...]

Dave in Fairfax

Art and Diane wrote:
I got the HF version a couple of weeks ago (I think it was $9 or
$10). I see there is a mention that one stone is 320 grit.
Does anyone know the grits of each by color? It didn't say on
the package.

snip

The catalog says the progression is:
blue coarse 180
yellow Medium 260
red Fine 360

Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work
use:
daveldr at att dot net
American Association of Woodturners
http://www.woodturner.org
Capital Area Woodturners
http://www.capwoodturners.org/
PATINA
http://www.Patinatools.org/
Larry Jaques

On Thu, 05 May 2005 23:43:26 GMT, the inscrutable Art and Diane
spake:

I got the HF version a couple of weeks ago (I think it was $9 or $10).
I see there is a mention that one stone is 320 grit. Does anyone know
the grits of each by color? It didn't say on the package.

I remembered the wrong number; it was 360. From the HF site:
--snip--
Comes with three color coded grits: blue (coarse 180); yellow
(medium,260); red (fine,360).

* Pieces: 3
* Size: 2'' x 6''

ITEM 36799-3VGA
--snip--

P.S: Please learn to bottom post and to snip unnecessary text from
your reply.

P.P.S: Note to Hax: You can easily hone a 2" wide iron on a 1x3"
diamond hone plate once you learn how. Can you say "figure 8"? I knew
you could. (2x6" is gravy; an aircraft carrier.)

--
"Excess regulation and government spending destroy jobs and increase
unemployment. Every regulator we fire results in the creation of over
150 new jobs, enough to hire the ex-regulator, the unemployed, and
the able-bodied poor." -Michael Badnarik

VOTE LIBERTARIAN OR YOU WON'T CHANGE ANYTHING.

Hax Planx

Larry Jaques says...

P.P.S: Note to Hax: You can easily hone a 2" wide iron on a 1x3"
diamond hone plate once you learn how. Can you say "figure 8"? I knew
you could. (2x6" is gravy; an aircraft carrier.)

But my comments concerned the size needed for card scrapers and when
using honing guides. I've used a 2x6" stone in both of those cases, but
it was far from ideal.
Larry Jaques

On Fri, 6 May 2005 09:18:13 -0500, the inscrutable Hax Planx
spake:

Larry Jaques says...

P.P.S: Note to Hax: You can easily hone a 2" wide iron on a 1x3"
diamond hone plate once you learn how. Can you say "figure 8"? I knew
you could. (2x6" is gravy; an aircraft carrier.)

But my comments concerned the size needed for card scrapers and when
using honing guides. I've used a 2x6" stone in both of those cases, but
it was far from ideal.

Why do you say that? I've had no problem with either task on a 2x6.
My DMT 600 grit stone is the mainstay of my sharpening system and I
haven't found anything I can't sharpen on it. (Though the inside of
gouges do well with the diamond cone.)

Hmmm, I use a General honing guide, where the wheel is off the stone.
That might make a difference, but you could always mortise out a
little pocket for the stone (or build up a block on a plywood flat) so
it's the same height as your roller if you have an integral unit.

shrug I've always found quick and simple ways to use the tools at
hand, though I know not everyone is wired that way.

No matter how hard you try, you cannot baptize a cat.
----------------------------
http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development
Art and Diane

OK, I understand about clipping unnecessary wording out of the reply. I
forgot. Sorry
But why the "Bottom post" thing. As I read through a thread, I find it
to be a pain to have to scroll down through the message to see the reply.

P.S: Please learn to bottom post and to snip unnecessary text from
your reply.

Jason C Rziha; R38687

A: Because it breaks up the logical flow of the conversation.

Q: Why is top-posting bad?

AAvK

I think the close-up shot makes them look pretty look, maybe they could be
used for flattening and hogging off metal or initial sharpening, any opinions?

I just got the stones ("plates" really), the 3"x8" size is quite awesome. blue=180,
yellow=260, red=360 grits, can't rub off the grit with my fingers so far. These are
by_no_means "precision" and the steel plates are inaccurately aligned onto the PVC
bases by just a little. They are flat enough for the early "cruder" uses definitely, not
that I am an expert on judging this, but they "seem" perfectly flat.

"BR Tools" on the card, "Made in China" on the back, no grit size markings on the
plates. They seem like something that should be sold at HF perfectly. They are not
worth the "BIN" price of $44.95, especially considering the shipping cost of $8.90,
wait to bid at the end, everyone else does. I think they are entirely worth it.

Clint, you should email and ask if they will make an exception, tell them they are
impossible to find in Canada, and that you really need them.

--
Alex - newbie_neander in woodworking
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com
not my site: http://www.e-sword.net/

AAvK

"BR Tools" on the card, "Made in China" on the back,

I found them as a website which has the exact same logo of "BR" as on
the package, "Big Roc tools"... http://www.brtools.net/

--
Alex - newbie_neander in woodworking
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com
not my site: http://www.e-sword.net/

Hax Planx

Larry Jaques says...

Why do you say that? I've had no problem with either task on a 2x6.
My DMT 600 grit stone is the mainstay of my sharpening system and I
haven't found anything I can't sharpen on it. (Though the inside of
gouges do well with the diamond cone.)

Hmmm, I use a General honing guide, where the wheel is off the stone.
That might make a difference, but you could always mortise out a
little pocket for the stone (or build up a block on a plywood flat) so
it's the same height as your roller if you have an integral unit.

shrug I've always found quick and simple ways to use the tools at
hand, though I know not everyone is wired that way.

Well, I guess we just do some things differently. I use the honing
guide on the stone because I want the roller and the blade to reference
the same surface. As I'm finding out, there are many and various ways
to maintain the cutting edge of a card scraper, but most of them involve
jointing the edge, and it is better to do that with a stone that is
significantly longer than the scraper. With a 6" stone you will either
be making very small movements on the stone, or part of the scraper will
be off the stone most of the time. The bigger stones are just a better
tool for this job.
Clint

Thanks for the update. I did e-mail the guy, and he said they won't ship to
Canada. I've got a few relatives down there, however, that might be able to
work something out for me.

Clint

"AAvK" wrote in message

[...]

AAvK

Thanks for the update. I did e-mail the guy, and he said they won't ship to
Canada. I've got a few relatives down there, however, that might be able to
work something out for me.

Clint

That's good, I hope you get the set. I found they are okay for use with steel, but
don't flatten silicon carbide oil stones with them. I ruined my 180 grit doing it. The
260 grit is good for beginning a new flattening though, and these stones won't last
a supremely long time either, while Norton explains their diamond plates will last
a lifetime, which will be a far better investment.