DanaK DanaK is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5p5
If this is a residence in the USA, I would bet dollars to doughtnuts that you have a 220 VAC service, and that the AC unit is also 220 VAC (from your description of the receptacle). I would further guess that one leg of the 220 circuit to the AC unit is out, for whatever reason, bad breaker, fried receptacle, etc. You should be reading 110 between either leg & ground & 220 between the 2 legs.

If you aren't in the USA though, this post may not make any sense.
Yes, I'm in Texas and I strongly suspect 220v is how he wired the wall plug. In the side panel of the A/C unit, however, it says 230v/208v. Isn't this one leg of 3 phase? Since this is a "ranch house" the only thing that is done to code is the A/C unit itself when it was made in the factory.

I have yet to find where this wiring is coming from so I can figure out what he's done and where the power to both legs come from. I hope I don't have to tear up the wall to find out but it may take that. At the very least I suspect I'm going to have to replace the A/C unit.

Thanks for your answer.